Going to Bonaire for spring break - east coast diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks, the OP is asking about East Coast diving, the guide service, not diving on the east coast by himself or with a partner.

To the OP - the operation as a whole is professional and well run. You will be back for lunch. SMB would be a good idea. Snorkel, your call - but I use my snorkel on all dives from the West shore of Bonaire, I leave it at home when I'm diving with East Coast.

Boat leaves in the morning after a safety briefing on shore. Briefing continues on the slow ride out to the reef....first dive, pickup...then you motor back to the dock for your SI....then back out for the second dive. I've done drift dives along the reef, turtle city, white hole, turtle car wash and others. You will see lots of turtles. If your wife is comfortable doing a backroll off a boat, then she should be fine as long as her skills are up to date.

I have been to Bonaire 6 times,

My daughter and wife have cut their teeth on diving there, first boat dive, first dive without me etc.

Last trip they made some major strides (boat diving without me, dive to 100 ft, able to deal with an issue)

I was only asking if a dive with east coast diving was appropriate for them (I have always wanted to go, (or with bas based on drrich reviews))

I think I have deciphered this is a bad idea. For them, I have kept diving fun over the years, anything going sideways from that would be bad.

They are both AOW, but I really don't consider that anymore of a certification than a boy scout I can start a fire so I can live off the land for a couple weeks.

JJ

Well now that you've given a clearer picture, I think they'd be fine. If they can dive to 100', dive off a boat, get back on a boat, and get their kit together properly without help, go for it. Nobody wants to be the guy that just says 'go for it' and it ends up being a terrible dive for that person. :)

You guys will be fine. We just did a 1 tank dive with East Coast divers and it was easy. Granted the waves maybe weren't as bad as they could be but I don't think they go out when it's unsafe. The crew is very professional and handle every detail of the dive to make it as safe as possible. Gearing up, getting off, and getting back on the boat were just like any other boat dive except with larger swells. The dive itself was very different than the West side with tons of gigantic turtles. AOW certified divers with experience will have zero issues with this dive.

Homerdoc, I'm in the you'll-all-be-fine camp for East Coast Diving. The operation is very buttoned-down (as my wife just chimed in, "A no-fool-around group of people"), the instructions are very clear, the boat (a large Zodiac modified so you just swim in after your dive) is great, and, of course, they won't go out if conditions aren't appropriate. It's note (quite) the Caribbean swimming pool you're used to, but it's certainly manageable. There are videos on youtube which show the conditions as I recall them; lots of turtles, a lovely fin across a field of fans, and a brilliant flock of tarpon if you go to White Hole. (And, not that you asked, but I'd also recommend kayaking/snorkeling the mangroves afterward, or otherwise--10 minutes away, and very interesting insight into the importance of mangroves as nurseries for the reef fish.)

Over the edge, we are going to do this, (but wife negotiated the one tank),

I have them almost convinced to do the cliff dive, that looks really fun. boka slagbaii

Thanks for all the input

Did the east coast boat dive this week. There seems to be a second operation now doing it as well for $100 versus $120 for the two tanks.

I had been meaning to do it for years, but never got the chance.

we went with the original outfit and were really lucky with the weather. They come back to the dock briefly between tanks,to change out tanks. If the first dive is too advanced or something happens to you, I don’t think they charge you for the second tank.

We were able to do the white hole and turtle city on the second dive. The white hole was full of tarpon, rays, and also a couple of turtles. The turtle city part of the dive was spectacular. Turtles popping up everywhere from the bottom to breathe. We saw 30 or 40 turtles, sometimes four or five at a time. Several times turtles popped up directly in front of me. A couple of times I swam directly over sleeping turtles before noticing them. A couple of other times, turtles traveling the other way came right at me and passed within arms reach narrowly missing a collision.

we met at 745 and were back at 1245. The first dive was 60 minutes and the second was 50 minutes.

they allow a limited number of sidemount divers.

As long as divers have reasonable air consumption and can do a safety stop in open water, East Coast boat diving is not a problem. As others have stated, it is totally different from diving the pond like leeward side. You and your family will love the experience. Your wife will regret signing up for just a one tank once she has done it.

There seems to be a second operation now doing it as well for $100 versus $120 for the two tanks.
What is the name of the new/second operation?

Back
Top Bottom