Going to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Rob

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wish to go to Belize and I want to stay in a nice dive resort. I recently came back from Roatan and stayed at the Fantasy Island. I thought the diving was great but the place was a dump. Are there some clean well tended dive resorts to recommend. I was wondering which of the different areas was more fun for nughtlife. My other half is not an avid diver so at least we could party at night.

Thanks for the info.

Hi,
We just got back from 13 days in Belize and had a very wonderful stay at Belizian Shores. We noted that many of the folks staying here were not divers. BS has probably the best pool in AC which itself is a good draw for lazy afternoons reading by the pool (or chatting it up at the pool bar). They have very nice tennis and basketball courts too and you can kayak right in front of the ocean and snorkel too.

Not too far from San Pedro (~15 minute ferry ride) so you can do lots of night life too.

Mary

Capt. Rob;

A lot depends on what you want to do in your non-diving time. Belizian Shores does have the nicest pool on the island and (assuming they fixed the heater) a nice swim up bar. The units are very nice and large and comfortable. On an island not known for great beaches, theirs is not too bad and they do have complimentary use of the kayaks for guests. The location is not, however, great if you want to party at night. While there are water taxis, they don't run late at night and thus limit your bar hopping to the one on site and perhaps Captain Morgan's down the beach.

You should look at the island map on the website suggested by Peter. The island basically consists of three main areas....downtown, north of the cut and south of downtown. Everywhere in the downtown area is easily walked and this will offer your best choice of restaurants, bars and nightlife. South of downtown has hotels that are close enough to walk to and from or be reached by a land based taxi that operate later. North of the cut has properties that still require a water taxi because, in spite of the new bridge, the roads can be quite rough.

Downtown the Sunbreeze is a great choice and has a dive op that has a good reputation (Aqua Dives) but you should be aware that you can use any dive operator and there are several who get great reviews here on ScubaBoard...including Peter at Pro-Tech who never blows his own horn here. I have used his services and highly recommend him. The Sunbreeze is a U shaped hotel, wrapped around a center pool and facing the beach.

South of downtown there are a number of good properties including Banana Beach and I have stayed there and it was very nice. All the dive operators will do pick-ups from there and they have a couple of pools and a beach that is not too bad.

The closest you will find to a dedicated dive resort on the island is Ramon's and it is a nice looking property and a long established dive operation. Based on my stays on the island, my guess is that you will find the highest percentage of divers at hotels such as Ramons, The Princess and the Sunbreeze...mainly because all of them get marketed as dive spots. Places such as Belizian Shores and Banana Beach would have fewer divers.

I have stayed in the North, in the South and downtown and probably preferred the downtown and south locations because they offered the greatest close by options of dining choices. Up north, in spite of the fact that there are outstanding restaurants, you do need to take the water taxi to enjoy them and that is not always convenient.

In the end it all depends on your vacationing style and how close to town you wish to be. You will be able to dive from any property on the island although some may charge extra to pick up further north due to fuel costs.

I was in Belize in the mid 70's with the British Army! At that time there was no Diving and not many tourists, at that time it was a really wonderful place as it had not been influanced by big business! I did a survival course on San Pedro as it was not populated then!
Times Change in a lifetime dont they!

I think the best diving in Belize is out on the atolls. The Turneffe Island Lodge has nice accommodations, considering the remoteness, and is a five minute skiff ride from the Elbow, one of the best dive sites in Belize. I opted for a private cabana.

Pardon my ignorance but what is AC ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom