Going to Bahamas..any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going diving the first week in November in/on grand Bahama and need a suggestion on where to stay and who to dive with...help please..????

We like smaller boats..not the 30 plus cattle boats. We also don't want the Ritz, but don't want a Gilligan hut either. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Darn, I'll miss you by a week. I'll be there from Oct 13 to the 27th.

We stay at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort

We dive with Grand Bahama Scuba

It's a nice resort with a very helpful and freindly staff. Port Lucaya is a short walk or Bus ride away.

The dive shop is on site at the resort. Fred and Melinda run a very safe operation. they go out of their way to make sure you have fun and memorable dives. It's not a cattleboat!!

If your staying elsewhere transportation can be arranged.

Tavi has the best place. We dove with Grand Bahama Scuba and Fred and Melinda are great. They usually have smaller groups and run a great operation. We stayed at Island Seas Resort which had a great beach. Grand Bahama scuba picked me up and returned me everyday. They were just around the corner about 1.5 miles and I did walk it a couple of times.

If my wife had not wanted the beach we would have stayed at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort as Grand Bahama Scuba is on their premisses.

Have fun.

I second the vote. Grand Bahama Scuba, owners are Fred and Melinda Riger. Smaller boat. 10 or 12 divers. Good people and dive ops. Better than the cattle cars at Unexsco. They will come pick you up and take you to the boat.

Port Lucaya Yacht club has good rates. But, for a better experience try:
http://www.grannysbahamasvacation.com/index.htm

Its a bed and breakfast run by two of the friendliest folks you've ever met. They are right across from the beach. Tell Terry that Jesse and Jackie sent you.

jscott099,
If you are going to smear UNEXSO with that tired old cattle boat crap, at least spell their name right. and remember to thank them when you tie up to their mooring ball at the dive sites especially at any one of the wrecks that they have sunk although i did get quite a laugh about the claims of the "other dive operation" that claims to have sunk the Sea Star and calls it Dunkins wreck...............

Jim

moray48:
jscott099,
If you are going to smear UNEXSO with that tired old cattle boat crap, at least spell their name right. and remember to thank them when you tie up to their mooring ball at the dive sites especially at any one of the wrecks that they have sunk although i did get quite a laugh about the claims of the "other dive operation" that claims to have sunk the Sea Star and calls it Dunkins wreck...............

Jim

Perhaps you could spell "Duncan's Wreck" correctly :wink:

The "other" dive op had quite a bit to do with the Harbormaster (Duncan) in arranging for the sinking of the Sea Star II. It's thanks to Duncan that it's there, so the name is fitting.

All of the moorings are not the work of UNEXSO.

and now that the dive ops are cooperating with each other as the Grand Bahama Dive Assocoation, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Rick,
you are right about the moorings,Xanadu put in some moorings and does repair.
and now that I learned how to spell Duncan I can tell you someone's been pulling your leg, the Sea Star II did not belong to the Harbor it was confiscated in a drug raid it belonged to the Bahamas goverment that is where the permits came from.
and you are right the dive ops formed the Grand Bahama Dive Assocoation and Sank their first wreck The La Rose June 16 2006 with the help of Bradford Marine who donated the ship. so i guess it really dosen't matter as long as we all have a place to dive,and someone to take us.

Jim

moray48:
Rick,
you are right about the moorings,Xanadu put in some moorings and does repair.
and now that I learned how to spell Duncan I can tell you someone's been pulling your leg, the Sea Star II did not belong to the Harbor it was confiscated in a drug raid it belonged to the Bahamas goverment that is where the permits came from.
and you are right the dive ops formed the Grand Bahama Dive Assocoation and Sank their first wreck The La Rose June 16 2006 with the help of Bradford Marine who donated the ship. so i guess it really dosen't matter as long as we all have a place to dive,and someone to take us.

Jim

I didn't say it belonged to the Harbor. You are correct about the seizure and government ownership. It also sat flooded and bottomed out in the Harbor for quite a while, 'til it was raised, towed out to sea, and sunk near to where it rests now.

It used to sit upright on a flat sand bottom. It is a much cooler dive site since the Hurricanes pushed it into the reef and broke it in half! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom