Going through certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all of the info and feed back. As we decended I would try and clear my ears. My right ear equalized just fine. My left ear however did give me issues equalizing.
The first time down I was unable to get it to equalize which resulted in minor ear ache until resurfacing. On the last decent down I was able to get both ears to equalize. No ear pain at all. Upon resurfacing I felt mild dizziness and then I felt sick.
I can also not that when ever I went to the bottom, my stomach would bubble and I needed to burp, which I did several times. As I stated before going into the pool I drank a whey protien shake. Not thinking that the gas produced from that would cause issues.
As I sit here writing this I have tried equalizing my ears. My right ear equalize fine the other one lagges and then equalization.
Keep working your ears as often as you can. For some people they start to play nice and cooperate when told to do it. It often becomes easier with time. For some it is a struggle each and every dive. Mine play nice if I take Sudafed. Otherwise a second descent during a dive (up to check location and back to 10 ft) isn't going to happen. Although once I'm past 15-20 ft I don't have to focus on clearing. I do it based on pressure and with my jaw only. Always a background thing after initial descent.

Keep working your ears as often as you can. For some people they start to play nice and cooperate when told to do it. It often becomes easier with time. For some it is a struggle each and every dive. Mine play nice if I take Sudafed. Otherwise a second descent during a dive (up to check location and back to 10 ft) isn't going to happen. Although once I'm past 15-20 ft I don't have to focus on clearing. I do it based on pressure and with my jaw only. Always a background thing after initial descent.
Thank you, I have been practicing since I posted. I really don't want to have this issue going down in open water. As stated before my left ear seems to lag. I might try the Sudafed with continues equalization. Very much appreciate all the info.

Are you experiencing any kind of sinus/mucus issue as you ascend? I sometimes get that, and I imagine that could cause nausea especially if swallowed.

A little troubling that your instructor did not discuss more with you. If you are trying again next week, I'll just remind you that it is possible to vomit into a regulator at depth without too much problem -- hold the reg in your mouth if that happens, so it isn't spit out. If that reg gets clogged, remember you can switch to your own octopus if necessary (you can purge your main 2nd stage regulator while breathing from your octo, if needed). Just stay calm and don't shoot to the surface too fast in any event (even at shallow depth).
On the second ascension I did notice a large accumulation of mucus actually.

Thank you, I have been practicing since I posted. I really don't want to have this issue going down in open water. As stated before my left ear seems to lag. I might try the Sudafed with continues equalization. Very much appreciate all the info.
Try several methods to equalize. You are probably using Valsala (pinch and blow); that is not effecive for everyone, and actually can cause you problems. Beat the Squeeze: Equalize Like a Pro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom