Going Galapagos October-Dry-Suits and Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iantid

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI All. I have been all over this forum regarding Galapagos and there is some really good info and fantastic photos, a big thanks to all posters.

Trip info - Buddy Boat (7days) -- October this year

I have a couple of questions which hopefully will be useful to others as well.

Drysuit
icosm02.gif
confused.gif

I haven't found anything specific regarding dry suit diving, there is a lot about 3mm, 5mm, 7mm wet suits and wet vests. Seems 3 and 5 are not on but 7mm or 5+5 is OK. However what is the consensus for diving in a tri-laminate dry suit in Galapagos conditions obviously with good insulation. Will it be too hot in the panga boat out to the dive? Will there be a huge affect of the currents on the suit, is it over the top?

Buddy boat
icosm02.gif

Any info (trip report) would be good - dive guides, food, organisation, overall experience etc.

Expected underwater life in October
icosm02.gif

Any thing special - I know it will all be special

OK a bit off track but I have a day in Panama City spare anyone any suggestion on dive operators to go with and where to go?

Thanks in advance

Since no one has replied, I'll give you my two cents' worth. I've been to the Galapagos in October twice, and once in November.

The water tends to be coldest in the Western Islands (Isabela) - I've seen 13-14C.
In the Central Islands, 16-18C.
In the Northern Islands - Wolf and Darwin - lo 20's.

with that said, conditions in the Galapagos can change dramatically from day to day. What I offer above is what I consider average.

I did OK with a 5mm + a hooded 2mm vest, but was a lot more comfortable with a 7mm + 2mm hooded vest.

I've seen people use drysuits - probably a bit of an overkill in Wolf and Darwin. The dinghy rides in Darwin are fairly short (<5 minutes) but can be longer in Wolf (>10 minutes) in part due to distance and in part because the dinghys can't go that fast in chopppy waters when fully loaded with divers and gear.

There are some divsites where you sit and wait - the rocks are laden with sharp edges and barnacles - I wonder how fragile a dry suit to cuts and tehrefore leaks.

I was last there in 2007. There will be the usual characters - hammerheads, silkies, Galapagos, dolphins in the Northern Islands; sea lions and eagle rays throughout; Golden Cownose rays, mobulas and maybe mantas and penguins in the Central Islands; and maybe even Mola-Molas at Punta Vicente Roca in Isabela. October is a great time to see whalesharks, probably the largest that can be seen (sometimes in the 15-meters range).

I've never been on the Buddy boats.

Good luck.

I'd like to bump this thread again. I've heard the reasoning regarding drysuits and punctures on the rock in the Galapagos while watching the ocean fly by, but my White Fusion Tech has held up to many rock entries c/w bump scoots, dive ladders and platforms. I don't even own a 5 or 7mm and I'm reluctant to buy one just for this upcoming trip.

Does anyone have any experience with diving the Galapagos in a White Fusion? Or, is it better to just buck up and buy a 7mm wetsuit? I don't really have any need for one outside of the this trip as all of my previous diving on the West coast from California to BC has been in my White Fusion.

I'd like to hear what other SB'ers have to say.

I'd like to bump this thread again. I've heard the reasoning regarding drysuits and punctures on the rock in the Galapagos while watching the ocean fly by, but my White Fusion Tech has held up to many rock entries c/w bump scoots, dive ladders and platforms. I don't even own a 5 or 7mm and I'm reluctant to buy one just for this upcoming trip.

Does anyone have any experience with diving the Galapagos in a White Fusion? Or, is it better to just buck up and buy a 7mm wetsuit? I don't really have any need for one outside of the this trip as all of my previous diving on the West coast from California to BC has been in my White Fusion.

I'd like to hear what other SB'ers have to say.

Can't speak to the White's, but I did all my dives in Galapagos in a DUI TLS-350 (trilaminate) and had no problems. That said, I'm not one to lay on the bottom, wrap my legs around rocks, etc. I would typically hold on with a finger or two. Be sure to bring good gloves. Kevlar.

Sorry, I didn't see this thread, or I would have replied. I wore a Drysuit (TLS350) 2- 1/2 yrs ago in the Galapagos. Over all the opnly issues I had was I tore a seal (had a second suit)... that said I now have zip seals, so instead of a second suit, I can now just change out seals. I had the neck seal roll & flood on the last dive I did (Brrrrr....) & on 1 dive I got into a wicked up current that took me from 70 ft to about 40 ft, & then after the rock I was clinging to broke, from 40 ft to the surface very quickly. The suit caught that current like a sail. I wore my heavier undergarments. I was never uncomfortable that I can remember during the Panga rides to the dive sites. Here is a video taken by my instructor on that trip: Galapagos Diving - YouTube

Thanks for the comments. I've decided to stick with my Fusion for the trip. I know how it dives and I can keep my weight (in the water and one the plane) down. I already own the Whites seal and patch kit that I can replace seals or make repairs on the boat. I can't come to grips with buying a single purpose wetsuit for one trip, even if it's a trip of a lifetime.

Once again, I can count on the insights of other SBers.

Jang

When your going? if its before October hope you have time for an up date

Cheer Ian

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 03:52 AM ----------

Thanks to all and great video. look like dry suite all the way with a repair kit in the bag.

Cheers Ian

Just came back a few days ago. Glad I stuck with the Fusion drysuit. Many had semi-dry wetsuits and in general were comfortable, but 6:30am dives took some persuading with the water temps.

Santa Cruz and surrounding islands: 17-20 deg C. Wolf & Darwin: 21-23 deg C.

Mobility was very Fusion like, just as all of my previous dives. I lightened my undergarments to something equivalent to a 100g Fleece, never felt cold at all. Never had any issues with barnacles as I only rested on fin tips while holding on to rocks. My non-kelvar wet gloves still look brand new with the exception of one finger with some wear (I've never dove with the gloves since getting certified as I'm dry glove all the way).

Given the wild currents 4-5 knots, I think a traditional drysuit would tend to act like a sail, but the Fusion was quite streamlined.

Awesome trip: Whale sharks and orcas in the water at Darwin island!

If I ever get a chance to go back I'm taking my drysuit. I would probably take a 5-7 ml and hood for backup.lat the time, I didn't have a drysuit and was actually told not to bring one. I really had wished that I had one.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 09:52 PM ----------

Thanks for the comments. I've decided to stick with my Fusion for the trip. I know how it dives and I can keep my weight (in the water and one the plane) down. I already own the Whites seal and patch kit that I can replace seals or make repairs on the boat. I can't come to grips with buying a single purpose wetsuit for one trip, even if it's a trip of a lifetime.

Once again, I can count on the insights of other SBers.
With replaceable seals, you'll be in good shape. I'd use wet gloves. No need for dry gloves and its pretty rough rocks in places where your hanging on.

We are diving dry there in a Santi trilam. So much warmer and flexible with layers. Going in September.

Back
Top Bottom