Going from novice to IDC instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6 months is pretty short imo to go from nothing to an instructor, i started diving when i was 14, as soon as i turned 18 i went and signed up for the divemaster course, at the time i thought i had a lot of experience, boy was i wrong, i spent that whole summer constantly diving and learning how to dive with newer divers. The year after that i finished my divemaster course and once again spent the whole summer diving, in those two years alone i logged roughly 130 dives. Last year I took a naui instructor course. The biggest thing with the instructor course is that you have to be able to teach the material to someone who has never seen it before. I think my instructor course took roughly 3 months or so to complete, that is with all of the tests, lectures, pool sessions, open water sessions, dive briefings, all of this while juggling my full time job at the dive shop, scuba classes 3-4 nights a week, other diving activities on the weekend.

The best thing is just to dive right now, gain experience, the best thing i can tell you that i was told when i started in the professional ranks is this, your scuba skills have to be like second nature when your diving with someone that needs you to dive with them.

dontyouliketheparty, im planning to do nearly exactly what you are saying, and I have gathered loads of info that im willing to share with you. I'll send you a PM with my contact details, as i just cant be asked to post everything here

There is no doubt you can become an instructor in such short time but it will probably take you years to recoup your investment. You will also be on an island swarming with divemasters that is now suffering a lack of tourists not only because of the economy but because of the political situation so those tip jars will also be slim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom