Going for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KW -- please accept my apology for the following being (perhaps) negative. A year ago I had a student, who sounds much like you, tell me how he was looking forward to becoming a DM and working for the shop with which I was associated. I told him, Slow Down, dive, get some real experience outside of classes and THEN do the DM. He is just about finished with his DM now.

I was on a boat with him a few weeks ago and he took me aside to tell me how right I was and that he wished he had followed my advice and NOT done the DM. He was just beginning to understand how much he didn't know now that he had 2 (or 3?) times as many dives under his belt.

IF your dive count is correct, then I'd guess at least half your dives have been class dives. That just doesn't give your enough experience in independent diving -- and the essence of being a DM is to be a truly independent diver. I'd also guess you haven't had many charters in Puget Sound which will teach you a lot about the various dive sites -- AND about tides, currents, visibility -- not to mention the critters and everything else a PUGET SOUND diver needs to know to be helpful, and quite frankly protective, of his charges.

In my mind, and my experience, is that a PUGET SOUND DM needs a lot more experience than the minimum for starting the DM program.

Please take this for what it is worth -- and perhaps worth exactly how much you paid for it.

Good luck.

I say ignore the doubters and the naysayers and just do it. I'm a current DMC and have approx 70 dives, which I know in the eyes of many SB posters makes my opinions worth roughly the same as a squashed cockroach you might scrape from the sole of your sneakers. But the fact is these people believe that anyone with less than 1000 dives is an incompetent newbie barely qualified to carry tanks and maybe teach someone how to inflate a BC. And only then under the direct supervision of one of them.

It's a great experience and regardless of whether or not you pursue a professional career will make YOU a better diver. Good luck and enjoy it.

Weidelk, thank you for your honest support. Along with everyone else who is supporting me.

I appreciate what y'all have said so far and I understand the thoughts about unprepared and under-experienced divers. I have been told by my instructors I have dove with (not trying to toot my horn here) that I am a great diver and they would love to have me DM in their classes once I have been certified. That is not saying that I do not need improvement, I do. And I look forward to gaining improvement and learning more.

I'm not at liberty to say which dive shop I'm working at but I will say we have multiple location throughout the greater Puget Sound area. :wink: That should be enough help. I will take all the help and advice I can get.

TSandM, any time you and I can schedule a meet up, dive, and talk about improving skills, I'm there.

Then they should be willing to not charge you for your training. Ask them if since they are going to use you as a DM how much you will get paid for assisting and to just put that towards your course fees. I'm assuming by them saying you are a great diver that you can perform all basic skills hovering, in trim, in midwater with little to no difficulty in OW and the pool. That your Nav skills are solid. You know your SAC rate. And that you have actually done dives outside of training and worked on your basic skills during those dives. I'm also guessing that you have all of your own gear except maybe tanks and can assemble and disassemble it with your eyes closed. That it has been chosen based on your style of diving, your interests, your needs, and based on actual research as well as your instructors recommendation.

I'm also thinking that you have good people skills, put safety above all else, and have the belief that the needs of the student are head and shoulders above the needs of the shop. I hope you also feel that no one should be sold classes before they are really ready for them. If all of the above is true then have fun. If not why not because anyone considering a pro route should have all the above before starting training as a DM. At least anyone who I would consider allowing to start training.

What benefits are you getting for assisting during training? Free air, keyman deals, lunch? You should be getting something otherwise you're paying to be a slave. And again ask them since you are so great to not charge you except for your course materials. They should be ok with that since they'll be using you afterwards and they'd have to pay you then.

Best of luck. Work hard and learn as much as you can.

Jim, I have and know all of what you mentioned except my own BCD and tanks. Since I work at the shop, I'm getting equipment at cost so after I get back from my vacation to Texas in August, I'm picking up my BCD unless I find a cheaper used one.

I dive as much as I can. In fact, I just got back from a nice long one where I focused on my hovering and refining my Nav skills.

I think I'm ready for this and so does the shop, my old DMs and my instructors. I'm going to learn and kick butt at this. The only thing that can hold me back from this is me. I know I can succeed with flying colors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom