Going DM or Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech first if you are seriously considering cave diving. Being trained in Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures is required if you are going after a cave cert through NSS-CDS.
Hmm, standards say Advanced Open Water and nitrox and some experience in doubles or sidemount. If the course will include decompression dives, you can take AN/DP concurrently with the cave training. Most courses in Mexico, sadly) do not cover any decompression planning or procedures.

standards say Advanced Open Water and nitrox
@kierentec You are correct, those are prerequisites. In North Florida we do cover decompression planning and procedures, as you know and practice when you are up here teaching.

Take a look at section 2.1.12 in the NSS-CDS S&Ps. Which states in part: "Whenever dives exceed 80 percent of the no-decompression limits, instructors and students must stage a decompression cylinder containing oxygen or an oxygen-rich decompression mixture for each diver at or near the cave entrance."

The statement I "should" have made is that *IF* you train in caves that are deeper than what we find in Mexico you will need formal training in Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures before you can be certified as a cave diver through the NSS-CDS.

Why do you feel the next "natural step in progression" is DM? Are you interested in working in the dive industry? If not, than DM is of minimal value. Two trips a year is hardly a fit to be a DM. If you want to expand your diving skills, there are many better options in the technical path.
Hello,
Why do you feel the next "natural step in progression" is DM? Are you interested in working in the dive industry? If not, than DM is of minimal value. Two trips a year is hardly a fit to be a DM. If you want to expand your diving skills, there are many better options in the technical path.
Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer, when I speak about natural progression I mean increasing my skills and knowledge. I do not necessarily plan to work in the dive industry, but I do plan to move in a country where diving is an option on a daily basis in the next two years and if an opportunity to guide would present itself I would give it a shot. What are the better options in the technical path you8 would recomand? Thanks

Unless you intend to do something specific with your DM training (and paying the annual liability insurance that comes with it - currently $575 a year), then I think technical dive training is where you should be investing time and money.

DM is not the next progression in recreational scuba diving. It is the start of the professional certification path. I have had a few DMs that took the course with no intention of working as a DM, but I think money is better spent on other dive training, trips, or equipment unless you have specific goals for DM and maybe a desire to become an instructor.

The OP is in Romania, so who knows what the insurance costs are there.

Unless you intend to do something specific with your DM training (and paying the annual liability insurance that comes with it - currently $575 a year), then I think technical dive training is where you should be investing time and money.

DM is not the next progression in recreational scuba diving. It is the start of the professional certification path. I have had a few DMs that took the course with no intention of working as a DM, but I think money is better spent on other dive training, trips, or equipment unless you have specific goals for DM and maybe a desire to become an instructor.
Thank you for your answer. What you are saying makes perfect sense. One of the reasons I would do the DM and maybe the only one is that I could then do the PADI Adaptive Techniques Specialty course which falls into my real life expertise. But overall, technical diving makes more sense.

Tech first if you are seriously considering cave diving. Being trained in Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures is required if you are going after a cave cert through NSS-CDS.
Thank you, I am seriously considering cave.

The vast majority of instructors out there have very limited knowledge and experience. The industry minimum standards to become a dive professional are remarkably low. I believe all DMs/Instructors should have some level of tech or cave training. Whether you are planning on becoming a professional or not, I would still highly recommend tech/cave first. It will give you a much greater range of knowledge and experience to draw from later as a professional. Start with GUE Fundamentals to build a solid platform to build on for tech/cave and a greater appreciation for excellent instruction and how to create solid divers.
Thank you, I happen to agree with you on the low quality of the industry, actually my recent trip to Mexico was very hmm, how should I put this, had a lot to suffer due to my guide in the cenotes and Cozumel. But, I am not here to point fingers, whats done is done, I blame myself for some of the mistakes that were made, I should have research more and choose more carefully who to dive with, I am happy I didn't suffer more serious injuries and I am ready to learn more. I appreciate your advice and will start planning to make a CCR course.

What are the better options in the technical path you would recommend?
The path I took (from my bio page), not necessarily the way, but what I did:

Scuba Diver - Open Water: YMCA - May 1988
Advanced Open Water: PDIC - August, 1996
(eight year hiatus with the birth of my daughter)
EANx Diver: NAUI - January, 2012
Scuba Rescue Diver: NAUI - June, 2012
Master Scuba Diver: NAUI - September 2013
Technical EANx Diver: NAUI - May 2016
Decompression Techniques Diver: NAUI - May 2016
Ice Diver: SDI - March 2017 (this is out of order, but done for fun)
Solo Diver - SDI - October 2017 (again out of order, but a great course)

Helitrox Diver: NAUI - in process 2015....

Thank you, I am seriously considering cave.

The Mexican caves are so shallow you can do full cave there without having Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures, unlike Florida. Just something to keep in mind. That’s why I did full cave in MX last year. I’ll be doing deco once I have enough hours on my rebreather (cave training was open circuit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom