going cave diving at Cancun, help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LAW DOG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, hope all is well. My family and myself will be traveling to Cancun this friday. Can anyone tell me what the water temp is now?

Also, going cave diving with a guide from Aqua World. Anyone have issues with Aqua World that I need to be aware of?

This will be the first cave dive.

I am advance open water, wreck, deep and nav certified.

Should I be concerned?

I understand that we will not be going into any caverns where light can't reach. I am really looking forward to the cave dive and two, two tank reef dives.
Staying at the Ritz Carlton so not sure how to get to Aqua World. Have visited Club Med so some what familiar with the area.

Thanks, Law Dog:skull::scubahelmet:

I don't know anything about Aqua World, sorry.

The cavern dives are fantastic, but there are a few things you should be aware of. Guides are supposed to be Full Cave and at least OW instructors. They are to dive in full cave gear, have a good primary light, and run line to OW. There are to be no more than four divers per guide, and divers are to have primary lights. There are some operations which do not observe these rules, so it's good to check.

Cavern diving is overhead diving, so you should have very good buoyancy control and the ability to dive fairly horizontal, and be able to cope with any minor problems calmly underwater.

If your tours are anything like mine were, you WILL go to areas where it's fairly dark (ambient light still visible, but a long way off). There won't be any tightly enclosed spaces.

Some people think these dives shouldn't be done by OW divers, but they are done with a good safety record, and I think it's a splendid way to get an introduction to overhead diving, and see if it's something you might want to pursue further. And the cenotes are incredibly beautiful . .

Hello Law dog, there is a big difference between "cave diving" and "cavern diving" and this is the sun ligth, as long as you can see the sun ligth, you are in a cavern, this tipe of dive is very safe and easy, there is no waves, no current and the visibility is of 1000 ft or more (this is for real)since we can not take more than four divers at the time it makes this dive very safe; however, I highly recomend try to be the first ones in the cenote.
Since is very shallow you can make one hour in every dive. Some operations take more than four persons at the cenote and the guide has to dive with all of them, if the groups can´t be more than four divers at the time, they have to make four or more dives (two dives each group of four), reducing considerably your bottom time. Check how many people do they usually take on each trip, and the bottom times too.
To do cave diving you need to have a "full cave" certification, full cave gear, primary and secondary ligths, ít´s considered one of the most dangerous sports in the world, don´t worry, nobody is going to take you to a cave dive if you don´t have a full cave certification card.
In case you are interested in a personalized treatment check my web site, I´ve been teaching and guiding groups for about 28 years, so I know a few good dive sites, cavern and ocean dives.
alwaysdiving.com // BUCEO PROFESIONAL - PROFESSIONAL SCUBA DIVING // BIENVENIDO - WELCOME
alvaro@alwaysdiving.com

Don't worry law dog, every thing will be fine, the guide know each other for the most part and work together well. If you have a snorkler in the group, Decline that day and say you just want a all diver guided trip, they will make it happen. There are some cenotes that the guide can watch the snorkler and divers.

Why, a couple want to go together, one diver, one snorkler.

what I have seen and herd is guides have full cave gear. Never seen one guide change out his double aluminum 80s for two dives. Went around to all the vehicles and none of them brought extra set of doubles.

You come back with 1000 psi, The next dive make sure the guide has 2000 psi in his doubles, If they have less, The second dive will be shorter.

It is all very safe, I just don't know why they say that the guide has to wear doubles, when on the second dive they have basically the same air as you.

The actual cave divers had extra sets of doubles.

I dove with Aqua World a few years back in Cozumel. I don't know how their cavern dives are, but they did seem to have safety on their minds. The only thing I didn't care for is it was a cattle boat dive and they didn't take a head count that I seen. It didn't bother my to much because of where we were, but I still thought since I paid them to babysit me that they would at least know if I was there or not. All and all they were ok.
Have a good trip,
Plumb

aquaworld,
big operation, they ll send a bus with 50pax to the caverns, 4 vans with tanks/equip & mobile compressor, and everyone has a great time!
no disrepect to aquaworld but if your doing something serious choose a low key operator, smaller groups, better attention, briefings....safety the lot, plus at aquaworld you never know who your buddy is going to be!
i beleive leif from manta divers is THE best caverns guide around, hes a german and a cool guy, i shouldnt plug manta but hes the top dog for caverns!

ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom