GOING BACK!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northerndivermike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't think our plane had landed back in Toronto last March when I started planning a second visit to CZM.

Originally hoping to return this month but changed plans due to reef closures and difficulty negotiating with the Boss (couldn't convince her I needed to check out some hotels for a family trip later in the winter)

So far I have a direct flight to CZM in March and a return from CUN. Staying almost 2 weeks

Spending a few budget friendly nights solo at Hotel Plaza (rooftop pool) and a few nights at Vista Del Mar ( balcony). Still looking to book something a little nicer on the water for the days the family will be with me.

Definitely planning to return to eat at : La Perlita, Pescaderia San Carlos,Los Otates and Casa Cuzamil.

Hope to make it to:El Moro, Kinta, Casa Mission (lunch), Mar Y Juana (breakfast), Crazy King, Buccanos, Caribe Burger, La Choza, Blue Angel, Los Palmas, and Chilangos. I hope to find a few hidden gems as I stroll along 30th Ave.

Still yet to decide on a dive shop. To some degree it may depend on the status of reef closures in March. I do plan at least a day or 2 with Dressel so I can check out the Iberostar Resort. Other deciding factors are whether pier p/u or transport are provided and the guarantee of night dives or twilight that I hope to be able to do at least once or twice. Used Roberta's Scuba Shack last year and was very happy but it might be good to compare with some others. Definitely headed to Playa for the day if the Bull sharks are still around and maybe another day in the cenotes.

Mike

Definately try New Especias (Lionfish Marsala....mmmmmmm) and Cervasaria Punta Sur (wood fired pizzas and microbrewery) for restaurants. We dive with Aldora for lots of reasons but DM's Jorgito and Sherief are definately two of them. If you are looking for a shop for cenotes out of Playa, we dive with Cenote Xperience, ask for Martin. They will meet you at the ferry.

Safe travels,
Jay

If you use Dressel, be sure to buy the dives before you arrive as they provide a 20% discount. They do two morning dives and two afternoon dives. All returning to pier between each dive.

When you contact them for a price list they will include their site schedule.

It’s not for everyone. But if you like bigger boats with lots of people to be around, you will be happy.

have fun!

Definately try New Especias (Lionfish Marsala....mmmmmmm) and Cervasaria Punta Sur (wood fired pizzas and microbrewery) for restaurants. We dive with Aldora for lots of reasons but DM's Jorgito and Sherief are definately two of them. If you are looking for a shop for cenotes out of Playa, we dive with Cenote Xperience, ask for Martin. They will meet you at the ferry.

Safe travels,
Jay
Lionfish Marsala sounds interesting
I have not seen anything but glowing reviews for Cenote Experience. Even though I have a guy near Tulum that will take me for private cenote dives I am tempted to try Cenote Experience. Do they also do the Bull sharks?

If you use Dressel, be sure to buy the dives before you arrive as they provide a 20% discount. They do two morning dives and two afternoon dives. All returning to pier between each dive.

When you contact them for a price list they will include their site schedule.

It’s not for everyone. But if you like bigger boats with lots of people to be around, you will be happy.

have fun!
I did contact Dressel a few months ago-before the closures. Their new schedule does not look as exciting to me but I will try them 2 days. I like the included nitrox. Do they always return after each tank or does it vary?
I will also try another operator that uses small boats and can p/u at downtown. Not sure I want to commit to 5 days consecutive to benefit from discounts especially when night dive is not guaranteed. Hate to admit it but the cost does influence my decision a little.
Hopefully after this trip I will have a known preference for FAST or LARGE boats. For now I still enjoy the boat ride to the reefs.

Yes. They return to pier after every dive. You surface interval on land. If you are staying at Iberostar that means you can run up and grab a snack, soda etc. it’s pretty nice.

Not sure if the post closure locations changes that strategy.

Lionfish Marsala sounds interesting
I have not seen anything but glowing reviews for Cenote Experience. Even though I have a guy near Tulum that will take me for private cenote dives I am tempted to try Cenote Experience. Do they also do the Bull sharks?
I'm not sure about the bull sharks...give them a call or email and ask.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Tell Martin I said hello. Also, if you dive with them, Martin's wife makes home made cookies that are kind of like energy bars. Ask for two of them!

Jay

Aldora guaranties night dives on Saturday and Wednesday nights. If diving with Aldora we do that even if only one diver wants to go.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Aldora guaranties night dives on Saturday and Wednesday nights. If diving with Aldora we do that even if only one diver wants to go.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Good to know
How typical would it be for you to have 2 tank afternoon or twilight dives in March?
Do you pick up divers at the downtown piers for afternoon/ night dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom