God's Pocket 10/11 -- Concierge diving in the NW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just got back from three days of diving the Browning Pass area with the God's Pocket folks. I cannot say enough good things about the trip. Despite marginal weather, we were warm and comfortable, both in the lodge and on the boat. The food was outrageously good, and the dive boat is fabulous, down to and including the fact that it has an ELEVATOR to reboard divers! Attention to detail was superb, with an example being that a small basket of hand towels came onto the boat each trip for divers to use to wipe their faces or dry their hair at the end of the dive. Nitrox was available and mixes were good, and we had pre-ordered Argon as well.

The diving up there is fabulous, as we knew from our prior trip. There are huge walls covered in bright-colored sponges, soft corals and anemones, and boulder slopes brilliant with coralline algae and full of rockfish. One dive is a refuge for huge hooded nudibranchs, and another is a wreck with wolf eel dens. Ascents and stops are often done in kelp, which is beautiful with the light coming down through it, and on this trip, the shallow water was full of water jellies. Although we encountered some difficult currents on one or two dives (not surprising, given the tides during the days we were there) most of the dives were calm, or gentle drifts. Photographic opportunities are spectacular.

Here are a few samples of Peter's pictures:

PA135468.jpg

PA135370.jpg

PA131666.jpg

PA135260.jpg

PA114988.jpg

PA114941.jpg

It's a fabulous dive op, in a beautiful site, offering wonderful service and world class diving. We'll be back next year!

Oh, and I forgot . . . I wrote a much longer REPORT of the trip on our little local board, and you can see the rest of Peter's pictures HERE.

Great report. Just came back from Hideaway the week before and was less than impressed. While the new accomodation is great - service is just not part of the experience with John. The diving is the same (excellent), but the service and amenities are minimal. Will have to give God's Pocket a try next fall. I really like the elevator idea!

The hooded nudi's are unbelievable - in this one bay in one part of the bay they cover every surface - thousands and thousands of them.

We did the Hideaway last time we went. It did not turn out to be my kind of place. John's a great guy and he knows his sites, but I prefer a bit more comfort (and I HATE being cold with a passion). I think you will be thrilled with the God's Pocket folks, but you will definitely pay for the service (which I don't resent at all).

We did the Hideaway last time we went. It did not turn out to be my kind of place. John's a great guy and he knows his sites, but I prefer a bit more comfort (and I HATE being cold with a passion). I think you will be thrilled with the God's Pocket folks, but you will definitely pay for the service (which I don't resent at all).
I was wondering what you thought of the hideaway compared to gods pocket. I see that for a 3 day trip at gp it is 4 nights, that is a nice way to do it, you get 3 full days of diving in that way.

I kinda figured that God's Pocket was more your style than John's place. Even with the ownership change a few years ago, God's Pocket has maintained a great reputation for the 20 years or so that I've been aware of it.

Nice photos, Peter, including perhaps the best rainbow shot ever taken outside of Hawaii.

Bill and Annie have owned the place since 1998. They have made a bunch of improvements -- for example, their inverter/battery system has dropped the diesel fuel requirement from 21,000 gallons a year, to 6500. They have put up some windmills, and are hoping to decrease that further.

The in-floor heating system is part of the energy saving, and is really delightful in terms of comfort.

The elevator was put in this year.

They asked us for our input on improvements, and we had very few, but the ones we had, I think they took quite seriously. I realy was impressed with the thoughtfulness and attention to detail of the whole operation, from the lodging, to the food, to the diving. And they have a solid concern for safety, too.

Thanks for the great report TSandM. I stayed at God's Pocket in June, and they run a great operation. I am glad to hear the boat elevator is a success!

I was on the same trip as DArnold to the Hideaway, my third time there. The diving was great as always, and John's new accommodations are now almost on par to God's Pocket. Wow, private rooms with a private shower!! :wink: A huge improvement on the dreaded "bunkhouse"! :blinking: However, as mentioned, it remains quite basic in terms of level of service. But, some people love it for the awesome diving at a budget price, and John does exude a certain charisma! For those who can afford it, God's Pocket is the more comfortable choice! Browning Pass is quite special, I can't wait to go back! I think actually both places are good choices, depending on budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom