Goatee Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a trimmer via the #1 setting. Remember, as my AOW instructor says," it's a water sport". A little leak is not a big deal.

AZ

I have a gotee and am looking for something I can put on it to help seal my mask. I've been told that Vaseline is a bad idea because it will break down the silicone in the mask skirt.

I'm still trying to figure out why his mask is on his chin since that's where a goatee resides :rofl3::rofl3: Now if it's his moustache that's causing the issue :D Ok, ok enough juvenile humor :dork2: While I don't have facial hair of my own the people I dive with who do just trim the area under their nose to give the mask a spot to seal. You may originally think it makes your moustache look a little weird but nobody else will notice the extra bare skin between your nose and the hair. Well, unless you completely botch the job :eyebrow:
Ber :lilbunny:

Simple question. Hopefully a simple answer.

I have a gotee and am looking for something I can put on it to help seal my mask. I've been told that Vaseline is a bad idea because it will break down the silicone in the mask skirt.

Anybody have idea for a substitute?

Thanks

Live with it. I don't see the big deal. The leakage is small.

It leaks a little at first, then it seems to go away without doing anything more. Hasn't been enough of a problem to do anything about so far.

I've been diving for 30 years with a full beard, goatee, Moustache, without any leaking issue. I don't use wax or vaseline, what I do use is a properly fitting mask. If your mask has always leaked then I'd suggest you find another mask. However, if the leaking has increase of late check the frame where the glass is held in with a plastic snap in frame. Sometimes these frame work loose and allow a lot of water to enter around the lens. Push the frame back into place and the leak should stop. If not examine the frame as it has a few little plastic tabs on it. If a tab has broken you'll need to send it back to the manufacture for a replacement. Of course you could change your persona and shave but then that wouldn't be you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom