Go Pro touch screen work with Gloves ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skubabob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It seems that the Go Pro Camera's are becoming a big Hit. I looking into getting a Go Pro 4 Silver with the touch screen but need some advise from you guys that are using it. I live and Dive mostly in the Cold Waters of the North East USA ( Boston ) and need to wear gloves. My question is, Does the Touch Screen work with Thick Gloves on ?? I'm not a Pro Film maker just want to capture some memories. I was using a Sealife Reefmaster Mini that to me gave me good still Pictures and Videos ( Again I'm not pro film Maker ) but it Flooded so I'm looking for New Camera. Even the Buttons on that Camera were Small and close together making it hard to press with Gloves on. Or does anyone recommend a different Camera that would better suit my needs ? Thanks in advance

I'm reliably certain that the touch screen is inaccessible when the camera is in the housing since there's a plastic backplate. You can see it in the 2nd image here:

http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/dive-housing-–-197-60m/AHDEH-301.html#/start=1

If I'm wrong, that's a pretty good trick since there's an open electronic slot just to the left of it.

HERO4_Silver_Feature_1_display.jpg

Does your smartphone work with gloves on? My tablet doesn't. The do sell capacitive outdoor gloves that do but they're likely not waterproof.

I was Thinking the same thing Steve, but wasn't sure seeing Technology now a days and not knowing anything about Go Pros. That's why i asked here figuring you guys would know. I've been reading some stuff about them but not finding answers I'm Looking for. So it sounds like I'd have to have it on then put it in the housing ??? Sorry for the Dumb Questions but I'm just not up with this New Stuff. Thanks for the feedback

In the standard housing the touchscreen does not work, but it comes with a different back door shown in the above video. You can still access every feature and change every setting using the buttons though, it's just faster with the touchscreen.

The Touch BacPac will allow use underwater, but is not rigid and only depth rated to 10ft... so that should answer (or obviate, actually) your question.

Skubabob the touchscreen back door is designed for use only to 10 feet, however I do not use the touchscreen when I am diving. I use just the goPro camera, and then, even with gloves, I use the button on the front and the one on top (Hero 3 Black).

I love the video from the goPro under water (I do use a color correcting filter) - just remember that slow and still and steady will give you the best video, regardless of which camera you use!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The previous posts have pretty much answered your question, but one thing to emphasize is that the touchscreen backdoor will not survive going much deeper than the rated 10 feet - so your camera won't survive either. So even if you don't have gloves don't use the touch backdoor on a dive (thinking you'll at least have the convenience of touchscreen control before and after the dive at or near the surface).

I like to have the LCD screen during a dive (so I can frame close-up critters) but with the rigid backdoor that can take the pressure. I got the touch screen for the convenience when on the surface. Happy shooting...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom