Go Pro for photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pongo1998

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking of buying a go pro hero 3 for my son to use when we go diving. Will it work for descent still photos as well? Would he get good video and photos without a light on it? I really don't have any experience with these, any help or advice would be appreciated.

I get good pics off of mine. I am new to photography so I am still learning about white balance and post production. Definitely get a red filter for it as it will put a lot of 'warmth' back into the shots.

I set mine to take a photo every 2 seconds then when I find something I want to take a pic of I just steady the camera and hit the "GO" button...I usually will change positions while doing so which gives me several angles of the same subject.

Like I said, I'm new to photography so hopefully some others can chime in

It's better for video, as it doesn't have a flash or a way to trigger one for photos. Here are some stills:

(Batfish, shot taken at 30-40ft, Daymaniat Islands/Junn's West Wall, Oman - HERO2, no filter, color corrected in GIMP, original 5mp cropped and resized)
MYKXql.jpg

(Yellowbar Angelfish, shot taken at 40-50ft, Daymaniat Islands/Junn's West Wall, Oman - HERO2, no filter, color corrected in GIMP, original 5mp cropped and resized)
9dQ3Il.jpg

It's better for video, as it doesn't have a flash or a way to trigger one for photos. Here are some stills:

(Batfish, shot taken at 30-40ft, Daymaniat Islands/Junn's West Wall, Oman - HERO2, no filter, color corrected in GIMP, original 5mp cropped and resized)
MYKXql.jpg

(Yellowbar Angelfish, shot taken at 40-50ft, Daymaniat Islands/Junn's West Wall, Oman - HERO2, no filter, color corrected in GIMP, original 5mp cropped and resized)
9dQ3Il.jpg

What are you setting your WB to?

In camera? Nothing, this was before Protune was released on the HERO2 and before any filters were available for the DH, so it's AWB with no filters. Correction was done in post, using Gimp (the red layer method).

Those are really good pictures, were you use a flash or any kind of light?

Pongo,

GoPros are primarily designed for video and switching between video and photos modes is not anywhere near as simple as it is with regular P&S cameras. The GoPro Hero3 Black however does have a nice feature that allows you to take video while simultaneously capturing 8MP photos at specified intervals so you don't have to choose between the modes.

As far as lighting, they do fairly well in open water without additional lighting but there are whole threads here in the forum discussing that. As for flashes, there is no way to sync them.

I tried doing photos u/w with the pic every 2 secs but I found that almost 75% of my photos were too blurry. I have results like these from "screen grabbing" 1080p 30fps with a red filter:
Untitled.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom