Go Pro for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I lost my underwater camera.

I want to get a new one and I like the various things I have heard about a gopro.

I do not know which one to get.

Suggestion?

> good for video to have some digitally stored memory
> bad for photos under water, as far as I know and friends tell

otherwise the GoPro is good stuff, relatively cheap, decent video quality, enough if you don´t plan to be a professional photographer somewhere in the future. the perfect thing for simply recording your dives. I suggest you just go and check the numerous videos on youtube .... and yea, not those bikini girls but the videos made by real people :wink: .. you get the picture. Gives you a perfect impression of the GoPro quality imho

> good for video to have some digitally stored memory
> bad for photos under water, as far as I know and friends tell

otherwise the GoPro is good stuff, relatively cheap, decent video quality, enough if you don´t plan to be a professional photographer somewhere in the future. the perfect thing for simply recording your dives. I suggest you just go and check the numerous videos on youtube .... and yea, not those bikini girls but the videos made by real people :wink: .. you get the picture. Gives you a perfect impression of the GoPro quality imho

I am not going to get into professional photography. I want to take pictures. I want to take videos.

I have seen the stuff people who have ones have posted, and like it.

It's Okay for photos,it's nice for videos. Just remember to get a good lighting system and/or red filters or you'll have washy green/blue video and photo

Personally I didn't quite like the idea of using different backs and accesories,so I bought an Intova SP1 instead

It's Okay for photos,it's nice for videos. Just remember to get a good lighting system and/or red filters or you'll have washy green/blue video and photo

Personally I didn't quite like the idea of using different backs and accesories,so I bought an Intova SP1 instead

I had an Intova. I was not overly impressed with it.

I do a lot of other things like kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, etc, that I feel the versatility of the GoPro would lend to.

What backs?

I had an Intova. I was not overly impressed with it.

I do a lot of other things like kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, etc, that I feel the versatility of the GoPro would lend to.

What backs?

Extended battery,water with touch screen,deep water with hard back etc

I guess if you do those others the GoPro lends itself a bit more to use

I have a go pro and i like it. I agree with Psy Wolf about the light you'll need that and i recommend the wrist mount dont use the head mount! I have seen personaly 2 people loosing the camera with that one

Have fun and lets go diving

I haven't checked out the 3 black, but the rest of the GoPro's certainly lack the ability to shoot in low-light situations. If someone gave me one for free, I would mount it on my speargun, but otherwise I think the quality is too poor for shooting dark or turbid waters.

That said, I'll echo Swimmer's comments above. It you're planning to use it for other sports, it would certainly add value to the system.

Have you checked out the Sony Action Cam? It's a little larger, but it seems to have better low-light performance than the GoPro 3 Black. Here's a comparison: GoPro Hero3 Black vs Sony Action Cam VIDEO comparison - YouTube but I would want to see how it performs in deeper water before pulling the trigger, and I don't know what the price difference is.

GoPro is my first underwater camera and it is ok but every time I see videos and pictures others have taken I reconsider. I am not looking for artistic pictures but something that will work well with low light (do not like dragging down strobes and bulky equipment). If I was looking now, I would consider the Sealife cameras. I shot some pictures with one and I was impressed. Yes it is bigger than the GoPro but has all the extras I bought for GP included (case/display etc.), and seems to compensate for the low light and colors. I am not sure of the exact model I tried, but it was a difference between day and night...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom