Go Pro 3 Filters ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfIslanderDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought a go pro 3 and am using it while diving. Unfortunately, all my video's have that familiar green colour to them. The GoPro forum on this board has little info so I thought I would check with Vancouver locals to see if anyone has a great fix. In researching this, it looks like I should get a red SRP filter but wanted to see if others had any input ( as most info online is about Caribbean and warm waters..and not our cold water here..)
Thanks.

Hi GulfIslanderDiver,

I don't dive with a Go Pro (Apart from borrowing one once), so my comments below will be more generic than specific to the Go Pro.

For our green waters, you will probably want to look into a magenta filter instead of a red filter, as red filters are more suited for blue waters. There are plenty of options to put a magenta filter on your go pro.

The downside to filters is that our waters are usually dark to begin with and filters work by blocking light, so your videos will be darker. Another option would be video lights, but then you have to deal with backscatter issues. This can be fine if you're taking videos of things close up, and the wide angle of the go-pro can help in that respect.

You could check out the Go-Pro / Video sub-forums on ScubaBoards for more info as well. Your question may get more visibility there.

Last edited:
Please take a look at our Magenta Filter as well..

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mccl.htm

mccl-green-water-filter-on-handle_dtl.jpg

Thanks for the tips...Mustang, did the cheap filter degrade the quality of the video at all ? Only reason I didn't try those...
Mako...thanks for the link..your lenses seem like a good compromise between the high priced SRP ones and the $5 ones. I think I will try yours and see what happens. I also like the ability to take lense off/on easily if needed.. BTW..I like your mount ...I had made myself one out of a re-purposed tape-gun handle as I didn't like the head and wrist mounts. however...one more thing to carry/clip -on underwater.
thanks.

I made a home made magenta filter from a filter for a different housing, and I'm pleased with the results. Here's a video I made with this setup. You need lights if you don't have them. I use Chinese dive lights with home made diffusers (translucent plastic over the lens).
The Point Grey - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom