GM1 Housing or Divefolk/ GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,
after years of diving without camera (had a Sanyo videocam with red filter and wide lens and was quite happy with it doing mostly stills), I want to start taking pictures underwater again. I have a Pana GM1 lying on the shelf, still working fine, and am thinking about buying the rather cheapish housing for it (for the 12-32mm lens) - it has a 67mm filter thread, where my wide lense and the red filter will work.
Another way to go would be to buy a housing for my smartphone or go the Actioncam road (Ace Pro or Osmo 5).
Is the GM1 a dead horse not worth riding any more, or can I get some nice photographs out of the old metal?
Strobes/ lightning will be added later, for now I want to choose the camera.
After having a look at my old stills, I'd say I did mostly fish portraits and generally was more on the wide side. Macro wasn't this much of a thing, as was video (did a few, but never really took a look at them...).
On the surface I'm using Oly M1, but wouldn't want to invest this much money, that the housing alone would cost (not even talking about lights and stuff...), also the size is quite important to me. Generally, I'm willing to compromise in image quality to get a small/ easy to handle setup.
Any suggestiosn, especially in reviving my GM1 for underwater use?
Thanks in advance

You mentioned the DiveVolk in your title. Assuming you have a cell phone (maybe even an old one), you might consider going that route unless/until you decide how interested you are in going a bit bigger. Since it's touchscreen, you can easily zoom, video, etc., just like on land. The Ace Pro is a nice action cam but among the limitations are, as with all action cams, minimal zoom, no macro.

Those things said, the GM1 certainly got raves, and you know the controls, battery behavior, etc., so I certainly wouldn't think of it as a dead horse, as long as it's working well--maybe take some pictures around the house or town and see if you like what you get?

Back
Top Bottom