Glue Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
No not for sniffing:11:

Just received a new 3mm suit from Bare I had ordered it with bellows pockets and they were told to install them but they didnt (although they did charge me to ) anyhow they did send the pockets and an explanation of why they did not install them which makes perfect sense 2 me on wetsuits they are afraid they may not get them exactly where wanted so to avoid issues they do not install them . Problem is they didnt send any glue and on the installation guide it states

For safety reasons we do not make polyurethane adhesives available for consumer use yeah whatever.

So where can I get 088912 wetsuit adhesive ? or a similar product I have drysuit adhesive from viking for wrist seals etc not sure of the specs but its not recommended for wetsuits.

Most SCUBA shops will sell a glue (urethane based, I believe) for fixing neoprene wet suits. It works well for repairs, probably would do a pretty good job for installing pockets.

Oh, and it stinks to high heaven, so don't use it in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment...

Bryan

For a wetsuit, plain old wetsuit/neoprene cement/glue should be used.
DUI even recommends it for pockets on their laminated suit material.
Thinning the glue with some toluene/toluol for the first coat is recommended as it allows the glue to get into the fabric a little better.
McNett's "Seal Cement" is a good high quality neoprene cement, thicker than average glues & that makes it more necessary to thin down the first coat.
Stay away from Aqua Seal/Aqua Sure as it doesn't have the same stretch ability as the neoprene cement.

The most commonly recommended glue for putting on pockets is black neoprene cement, such as is sold in most diveshops for repairing wetsuits. Brand not important, as long as it is black and comes in a can not a tube.

It's neoprene-based, btw, not urethane.

Thx for the help I guess I could have gotten off my lazy:mooner: and gone to the shop and had a look but who wants to go anywhere with all the last minute shoppers running around when I have experts at my fingertips:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom