glowing eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is the first shot I have had with this eye thing...I am sure there is a simple explanation and fix, but I am not sure where to start. I have many pics of other fishes from virtually the same angle and distance, but none turned up with this.

I was a bit bummed because I took two (why only two?? Who knows what I was thinking) and they both turned out like this. Shame really as I kinda thought the photo was good except for that!

That is a very kewl shot of a very strange looking fish. The white eye thingy has me baffled also. Did you use your internal flash on this pic and perhaps there was some kind of bounceback? I noticed another white oval shaped spot at the tail of the fish. Is that the same as the one on the fishes eye or was that a rock or shell?
Very mysterious to me. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this.

Maybe the thing just has cataracts!

This isn't a frogfish, it's a toadfish (North Carolina?). This fish is just simply suffering from red-eye of a different color. I'm guessing you were using the internal flash, not an angled external flash.

I have a couple of pictures just like this and thought it would be simple to clean up with the usual red-eye removal techniques, but I didn't find it so easy. It's hard to get the lighting and texture just right.

Edit: I just noticed your location. Did you take this picture in Australia? This fish looks just like an oyster toadfish of the sort I see all over the place off Hatteras, NC.

I don't have any examples on my website of ones I took with the internal flash. Here's one with an external flash.

http://www.pbase.com/image/21091861

Internal flash - yes...bad eye, no, but great suggestion. I have video of same fish and eyes are fine. But I have been using internal flash for ages and never had it happen...might just be one of those things, I guess!

Here in W Australia, we call them frogfish not toadfish...our toadfishes are more like puffers (TETRAODONTIDAE). Our common frogfish here are either BATRACHOIDIDAE Batrachomoeus sp or Halophyrne sp, I think. From what I can remember, in the States what we (W Australians) call anglerfishes (ANTENNARIIDAE) are frogfish...That's one problem with common names - we all have different ones and I get confused! Being American but living here I forget which way round things are:wink:

Our frogfish are hard for me to identify sp and genus as we rarely see them out of their holes and it is often their gill slits and patterns on the body to tail that distinguish them.

Pretty sure the white circle at the back is a bounceback off one of the several million floaties on this dive - I was pretty astounded when I downloaded these pics that there wasn't more as the viz was good, but there were squillions of thingies in the water!

Thanks so much for the input...it's all helpful!

If it's any consolation, I've also seen this same cloudy eye thing with other 'frogfish' and moray eels. My best guess is it's just the right angle to cause it. Murphy hits everywhere!

I'm saying it's red-eye. It happens on some fish. Look up walleye fishing and look at the pictures taken with a flash. They look sinister.
Check out these and you can tell which ones used flash.
Walleye gallery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom