Gloves vs Mittens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiep3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting ready to buy new gloves for cold water. Was wondering if the 3 finger mittens are significantly warmer than gloves of an equal thickness. What's your experience?

I have used mittens once but because of they were a size too large they kept slipping off my hands. Needless to say, they didn't provide much warmth.

I use 5mm gauntlet gloves and am happy with them . They can be difficult to slide over the wetsuit sleeve; however, once they are on they stay on. I have used 5mm gloves with no gauntlet and noticed that the water moved around too much for my liking. That may have been caused by a size issue though.

Either way, make sure the gloves or mitts have a snug fit.

what suit are you wearing? are drygloves an option? If so, I'd highly recommend the investment. 3 finger are supposed to be warmer but it's a great loss in dexterity.

I had to rent a set of lobster claw mittens in Victoria and couldn't stand them and that is being nice
I think that if your core (body/head) is warm the toes and fingers will follow suit.
What mill is your hood?
Otter Bay makes a 12mill hood that is the best I've seen.
Cricket (the owner and a darn nice person) will build a nice custom one for you.

7mm hood, have been in 42 degree water and been warm, but went out today and ordered 5mm gloves, because I've used 3mm up till now.

I'm a cold water / Great Lakes wreck divier...

I started diving with 5 fingered gloves. That lasted for a few years. The next few years I dove with 3 fingered mitts. & yes, they were warmer. If / when my fingers got cold I'd pull my hand into a fist and pump my hand to help get the blood circulating. After a few years I moved to Henderson's gold core 5 fingered gloves. I think they are a thicker neoprene in addition to the 'gold' properties. MUCH warmer.

Also, with all three types of gloves I wear a thin silver colored glove liner.

A lot of my buddies have moved to dry gloves. So far they don't seem worth the hassle to me. Just another water entry point and another thing to repair.

Paula

diver_paula:
I'm a cold water / Great Lakes wreck divier...

Also, with all three types of gloves I wear a thin silver colored glove liner.

Paula

Someone I dove with last weekend recommended these... where do you buy them?

gasgirl:
Someone I dove with last weekend recommended these... where do you buy them?

I bought mine years ago. I try to start each dive with a dry pair of 'silver' gloves. The first pair came from one of my LDS. The other pair I found in a hunting / fishing store.

Paula

I dive in New England and 3-finger gloves are the norm for Wet diving....Just look at any cold weather industry and you will see that 3-finger mittens are the norm for the warmest possible applications. By keeping your fingers together it creates heat and blood flowsame as like wearing socks.
They look intemidating , but are easy to get used (if you give them a chance) and are as easy to use as regular gloves. Hey we catch losters with them so they must work. Most of us diving Wet in New England use them with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom