Glo-toob...signal strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtbriten

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to start carrying a signal strobe and am looking for a recommendation. I've looked at the many options and a few things that concern me are
1. Many only last 8 hours. (If I'm really lost.. I want one that will work longer than that.
2. Many are bulky or act as lights also. ( I already carry a large lantern at night plus I have a backup in my BC.. so I am running out of pocket space.

So.. I've been looking at the new glo-toobs and was wondering if they are bright enough to use as a signal strobe in a "lost" situation. I wrote the company and they didn't respond and I've scoured the internet to no avail. Anyone know if they are bright enough or are they solely used for underwater markers?

Glo-toobs are markers

I wasn't satisfied with the brightness of one of those D cell strobe/flashlights so I went with a Tektite 200 after checking it (it's VERY bright) .. but, it is kinda big ... Tektite 200

Glo-toobs are markers

I wasn't satisfied with the brightness of one of those D cell strobe/flashlights so I went with a Tektite 200 after checking it (it's VERY bright) .. but, it is kinda big ... Tektite 200
yup... that's the one that I know I should get for safety...but it is large... I guess large isn't important if you are drifting seaward!! Thanks

I bought a Glo-Toob as a marker/back-up emergency light. It's a nice little light, but I wouldn't think it'd be bright enough as a main emergency strobe.

The Tektite 200 and the Jotron AQ4 safety strobe seem to get high marks. Both kinda pricey and both kinda big.

If you get a Glo-Toob make sure you take good care of the sealing o-ring and that you tighten down the waterproof cap well.

Henrik

I bought a Glo-Toob as a marker/back-up emergency light. It's a nice little light, but I wouldn't think it'd be bright enough as a main emergency strobe.

The Tektite 200 and the Jotron AQ4 safety strobe seem to get high marks. Both kinda pricey and both kinda big.

If you get a Glo-Toob make sure you take good care of the sealing o-ring and that you tighten down the waterproof cap well.

Henrik

My Glo-Toob didn't last very long. Sent it back to them and never heard anything. But like the previous post it's at best a marker light. I did use an OMS strobe similar to the Tektite 200 - good bright strobe flash but treat the bulb gently as mine no longer works. Heck I dive in the Puget Sound and if you know visibility here, I've even used the OMS strobe as a marker light especially helping out in OW classes.

My Glo-Toob didn't last very long. Sent it back to them and never heard anything.

Mine flooded too. But they were very responsive when I sent it back. Replaced it immediately, no problem.

But I think you need to care for the o-ring and sealing surfaces like you would an UW camera.

That said; better than nothing, but not nearly bright enough as a "true" emergency strobe.

Henrik

O.k. I finally found a photo of what I got to replace the Glo Toob. I got a Nite Ize that you can purchase with whatever color led light you like plus set it to blinking, steady etc. But you do have to set it before it goes in the tube. It emits a pretty good glow but is much larger than the glo tube.

Attachments

• theshorelinemarket_2028_46291234.jpg
    theshorelinemarket_2028_46291234.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 75
  • theshorelinemarket_2028_46429326.jpg
    theshorelinemarket_2028_46429326.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 81
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom