Glass lens frameless Mask fogging issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The purpose of a defog agent is to fill the microcavities on the glass surface which would otherwise fill with water vapor. Defog does not “coat” the inside of the mask. Once you have applied the gel/shampoo/spit, you can lighly rinse mask to remove most of it. Enough should be embedded within those cavities to prevent fogging for one or two dives.

I just wanted to report that the new mask I treated as per the post below showed no signs of fogging at all.

The other mask of the same make (now stored as a backup in my wetsuit pocket) took about 3 dive days with treatment in-between to behave, so I was really happy to see it work for the first time around now.

Getting into the very edges of the glass is also very important I think, so that the fogging does not get a foothold anywhere on the lens.

Frameless masks appear to have more release agent residue on the glass than anything else out there.

I just received another one and have thrown the kitchen sink at it:
- flamed the glass on both sides with a jet lighter
- rubbed many rounds of sea buff (can also use generic grainy abrasive toothpaste) in
- washed the entire mask with detergent
- sea buffed some more (as in more than you think, and then some more, and even more)
- let a layer of sea gold dry onto it for good measure whilst storing

I hope this will do it for the first time. The other mask of the same make I have bugged me with fogging for multiple dives until at some point repeated treatment has solved the issue.

Back
Top Bottom