Gladden Spit from Ambergris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know Placencia is the place to stay for whale shark dives, however the packages are much more expensive than Ambergris. I would also think that the whale shark dive would only take 1 day out of all the dive days. The reefs are much closer in Ambergris, so I'd prefer to have the majority of dives be easier access. Does anyone know of any full day trips from Ambergris for whale shark diving? Yes, I know it's far, but I'm hoping an all day trip might be available. For a family of 4 (only 2 are divers) the Placencia packages are coming in at almost twice the Ambergris packages! Once I get that out the way, I'll have to figure out why USAirways fares are all over the place (one day approx 500 from Philly, then almost 900 the next, for the same dates). I'm getting ready to give up and just go to Cozumel again (best bang for the buck)

I've never heard of (and can't imagine day trips) it is really far. It's the sort of thing a liveaboard would do overnight, if they were doing such a thing. The ability to even make the trip might be dependent on conditions, especially for a smaller boat.

In case you are not aware of this, the whales are typically seen on a few days around certain full moons, and dive operators need to apply for the good time slots in a lottery as they limit the numbers. And unless they have eased up on the rules, the whales are more likely to appear late in the day, after the time dive boats are supposed to be out of their area (I think it was 5pm). And even if you were there at a good time, I don't know that you could count on the whales cooperating on the particular day you happened to be there. I really think you'd want to stay down there for a few days at least.

Damselfish is right. You'd be best to just spend a few days at some Placencia resort because the boat ride from Ambergris will be at least 3-4 hours....on a fast boat. They can do it inside the reef so most of the ride won't be as rough as going out to Lighthouse reef. It's not worth it and I haven't heard of anyone that does it.
The diving in Placencia is more expensive because it's 20 miles out to the reef from there. The boats in Ambergris probably average about 5 miles at most to the dive sites. Some are only half mile from the shops. Not here. But I like the reef here better. Just my choice. Have fun.

A trip from Ambergris Caye to Gladden Spit would take at least three days in all, even supposing there were one available. Visiting the whale shark site is tightly controlled and only boats which have a specific permit, obtained in advance, are allowed there. Furthermore, each boat has to have a locally certified tour guide on board. Forget about travelling there from AC - it won't happen. If that's what you want to do, book each separately and change base partway through.

But I don't know why Placencia packages should be so much more than AC. Are you comparing like with like? For the same quality they should be around the same price. On AC there are cheap operators who will give you precisely what you pay for, which may not be what you expect, whereas in the Placencia area there are fewer operators and most give quality.

As always, if you find a bargain that's much cheaper than the rest and sounds too good to be true, it most certainly will be.

Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid that it would be too far to be feasible. As far as the differences in price, for a family of 4 (2 are divers), I can get 7 night packages with either Mayan Princess or Ramon's (taking into account extra for food), between $3000 and $4500. That includes transportation from Belize City, rooms, dives, etc. For Placencia, similar packages at 2 different resorts, Roberts Grove (nicer than than the 2 above) or Nautical Inn (about on par with the Princess, but not as nice as Ramon's) are both coming in over $7,000! That's a huge difference. Plus the whale shark dives are more expensive and I'll have to tack those costs onto these already inflated numbers. Yikes! Unfortunately, I'll probably pass on Placencia. I really would like to do the whale shark dives.

cageybob:
Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid that it would be too far to be feasible. As far as the differences in price, for a family of 4 (2 are divers), I can get 7 night packages with either Mayan Princess or Ramon's (taking into account extra for food), between $3000 and $4500. That includes transportation from Belize City, rooms, dives, etc. For Placencia, similar packages at 2 different resorts, Roberts Grove (nicer than than the 2 above) or Nautical Inn (about on par with the Princess, but not as nice as Ramon's) are both coming in over $7,000! That's a huge difference. Plus the whale shark dives are more expensive and I'll have to tack those costs onto these already inflated numbers. Yikes! Unfortunately, I'll probably pass on Placencia. I really would like to do the whale shark dives.

I've seen pics of Roberts Grove and visited both Ramons and The Mayan Priness. Roberts Grove is WAY WAY nicer and caters to those that like the "nicer things" in life. My wife and I have been to Ambergris once, and will be returning with our 5 yr old daughter this March. IMHO, save the extra dollars and visit AC. Divers and Non Divers will both have a lot of fun. Use Protech for your local dives and Amigo's Del Mar for a trip to Lighthouse Atoll (Blue Hole) or Turneffe. I'd line up your lodging directly through the hotels, http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html and line up your diving independantly. Pretty much all dive shops will pick you up and any pier. Your hotel can line up your connecting flight from Belize City to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. It will be about $100.00 per person roundtrip. If you want any specific advice on Ambergris, PM me. :42: Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom