Ginnie Springs in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I would add my trip report about Ginnie Springs.

Now I don't want to discourage anyone, but it wasn't for me. I did my first OW dive in a spring at crystal River, but had only been snorkelling in springs since then. My friends had all told me how great Ginnie was and about this bit called the Ballroom. The lierature from the Ginnie site calls it "an ampitheatre sized room".
Well- me and my buddies thought we were in the wrong hole!!! It was small to say the least. We also did the devils eye bit-and the devils ear- or whatever it is called- which are nice enough, but I guess I was expecting somthing on the scale of Mammoth Caves !!!!

That being said, it is a nice spot to have a Barbeque/picnic and chat with other divers. If you are cave certified I am sure it is super cool. I spent some time watching some freshwater fishies swim around, and watching the bubbles from cave divers permeate through the rock and create a curtain of bubbles underwater. But for me, I think i will stick to the Keys!

oh- BTW, a number of people on this board mentioned the drunk college kids- although there were a few youngsters drinking beer, the atmosphere was very pleasant and not as bad as I was expecting.

And women always say that size doesn't matter...

munkispank:
"an ampitheatre sized room"....
Well- me and my buddies thought we were in the wrong hole!!! It was small to say the least. We also did the devils eye bit-and the devils ear- or whatever it is called- which are nice enough, but I guess I was expecting somthing on the scale of Mammoth Caves !!!!
If i recall correctly its about 200ft from the grate to the entrance way, that is fairly large and its about half as wide and probably 40ft tall too, its a decent size, not gigantic. I havent been in many dry caves that defy belief in size though, so couldnt say if this was kind of normal or large or small - i have heard of mammoth sized caves, just havent seen them.

munkispank:
That being said, it is a nice spot to have a Barbeque/picnic and chat with other divers. If you are cave certified I am sure it is super cool. I spent some time watching some freshwater fishies swim around, and watching the bubbles from cave divers permeate through the rock and create a curtain of bubbles underwater. But for me, I think i will stick to the Keys!
Great to hang out and chat with others. Not too many fish though and i think that, as well as the lack of variety in the small amount of the caves you can dive if OW, are the main reasons that reef lovers may get bored here - at least you tried it.
munispank:
oh- BTW, a number of people on this board mentioned the drunk college kids- although there were a few youngsters drinking beer, the atmosphere was very pleasant and not as bad as I was expecting.
Depends on the time of year, we were there around college spring break kind of time - more popular then with the kids as its only an hour up the road from UF, question of timing!

Yes, even the springdiving fool is starting to get bored by Ginnie. However, as Simon says, the partying can get rather noticeable at times. As in live bands that started to sound rather monotonous after the third song, somone using a kayak as a sled down the stairs into the water, & then taking a long swig of Jack after splashdown,etc.

Now if cave diving is your thing, look no further. The instructors associated with Ginnie can train you as far in that direction as you wish to go, they have a decent selection of cave diving gear, & it seems as though many cave divers like to dive there, judging by what I have seen.

yeh it is a bit overated, Going there once is nice but after that it becomes boring.

oh yeh, and WAY overpriced!!!!

I know what you mean. Ive been there enough times to where the ginnie spring isnt too exciting anymore, but good for taking new divers or trying out new gear, practicing skills, etc. Looking at the cooeds swimming overhead is nice too. Now, Im cave certified though, so it has a whole lot of new things to see.

Here is a pic from Ginnie.

http://northfloridadiver.net/media/pics/gin42404/35240015.JPG

simbrooks:
If i recall correctly its about 200ft from the grate to the entrance way, that is fairly large and its about half as wide and probably 40ft tall too, its a decent size, not gigantic. I havent been in many dry caves that defy belief in size though, so couldnt say if this was kind of normal or large or small - i have heard of mammoth sized caves, just havent seen them.

Si - I've been in a BIG cavern and I can tell you without hesitation that the Ballroom is nothing more than a hole in the ground. It was fun to dive around with other people and a nice deep swimming pool for new divers, but beyond that......

For perspective go here: http://www.forbiddencavern.com/

The picture 2nd down on that page is taken from the area that the public walks around to and sits down. The stalagmites on the far side 900' away and 25'+ feet tall, over the edge of the area you walk on to get to that spot is a 40' drop and when you look up its 200'. The proportions are so great that it looks as if you can reach out and touch things but in reality, even Shaq looks like an infant in there. Also, the water was very nice and filled many water bottles during the tour and on the way out! :D

CBulla:
The picture 2nd down on that page is taken from the area that the public walks around to and sits down. The stalagmites on the far side 900' away and 25'+ feet tall, over the edge of the area you walk on to get to that spot is a 40' drop and when you look up its 200'. The proportions are so great that it looks as if you can reach out and touch things but in reality, even Shaq looks like an infant in there. Also, the water was very nice and filled many water bottles during the tour and on the way out! :D
But they wouldnt let you dive it! I have seen some stuff about half that size, but again not a huge cross-section of what is available around the world to compare to. Its fun for a trip or two, training and the like, but i have probably dove the ballroom about 10-12 times, that is enough for me in a fairly small place. Waiting to get cavern cert'd and intro'd so i can actually use the better part of Ginnie!

As for jviehe's photo - i was expecting one of the cooeds!

lol- yeah jviehe, I have several buddies who would like to see the pic of the co-eds :wink:

I have to add that you cave divers must be tough as nails- I watched some of the cave divers squeezing through these tiny gaps with double tanks and lord knows what other equipment-kudos to those of you who make it through the training- I would be way too scared to do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom