Gili Referrals for Dive Guides / Spotters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a trip to the Gili Islands possibly staying on Gili Trawangan.
Does anyone I particular recs or experience with good dive guides or dive masters with good eyes and knowledge of the reefs there?

I will second dirt farmer. The diving the Lombok Gilis is not nearly as nuanced/macro-specific as Lembeh, Ambon, Tulamben, etc... Any of the locals working for the big-time places (Oceans 7, Manta, etc...) will do very well.

After walking around a bit and doing lots of chatting, including asking about private dive guide options, I got referred by one of the largest dive ops to a new operation called Stingray. It is in the far north end of the main strip.
Went by them last night and they are a group of experienced local dive masters that formerly worked for the big ops but recently started out on their own. Brand new equipment.
Gilis have a diver operation organization that strictly regulates dive prices / fees. So service options become important.
Stingray's take is to offer smaller group / solo diver options..... so the price is still the same...
This is why other ops do NOT offer private Dive Guides - they cannot charge more as dive prices are fixed by the dive cartel! Took awhile to figure that out as most were not explicit about that.
After having long discussion with them they seemed all very good and interesting including with former diver guide experience in RA and elsewhere. So we shall see.
As others have mentioned, I believe that a great dive guide can make a huge difference in dive site experience.

After walking around a bit and doing lots of chatting, including asking about private dive guide options, I got referred by one of the largest dive ops to a new operation called Stingray. It is in the far north end of the main strip.
Went by them last night and they are a group of experienced local dive masters that formerly worked for the big ops but recently started out on their own. Brand new equipment.
Gilis have a diver operation organization that strictly regulates dive prices / fees. So service options become important.
Stingray's take is to offer smaller group / solo diver options..... so the price is still the same...
This is why other ops do NOT offer private Dive Guides - they cannot charge more as dive prices are fixed by the dive cartel! Took awhile to figure that out as most were not explicit about that.
After having long discussion with them they seemed all very good and interesting including with former diver guide experience in RA and elsewhere. So we shall see.
As others have mentioned, I believe that a great dive guide can make a huge difference in dive site experience.
Hi John, how did you go with stingray? im thinking about Gilis for next July and they sound like they might be right up my alley!

If you have time to go to southwest of Lombok (Southern Gilis), in Gili Gede, contact Rusydi. He runs the Eco Dive Resort. His WhatsApp is on the web site. Good crew. They're still recovering from covid 'drought' so their facility is rudimentary, but the boat etc is good. DM me for additional info like local driver, etc. I was just there in May with my son. Wasn't lucky with visibility though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom