GI Bill pay for Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, I joined this years ago, but fell out of diving. Can't really dive in the sandbox... Anyway, I'm retired now, 100% disabled and am looking to get my Dive Master Certification through SDI. I just completed my advanced diver certification today and want to start purchasing my own gear, but have the GI Bill pay for it, the GEAR. I know it pays for the certifications, which I am glad, but I am getting conflicting answers on the gear, so I'm wondering if anyone here has the correct answer, or could point me in the right direction. Thank you!
I know a person who bought basically their entire scuba set up - tanks, regs, and a rebreather through their GI benefits. Maybe it requires a shop that knows how to put the correct wording on the forms, but it 100% can be done.

I know a person who bought basically their entire scuba set up - tanks, regs, and a rebreather through their GI benefits. Maybe it requires a shop that knows how to put the correct wording on the forms, but it 100% can be done.

They used voc rehad

They used voc rehad
I am not using VOC rehab. I dont even know what it is. I am using Post 911 GI Bill benefits for my course and it is paying for all of my gear. I already got my wetsuit, dive computer, fins, etc. I am getting BAH for the course as well as the courses all the way through Dive Master.

There are programs that will do it but it's unique to the shops and they have to be set up right with the VA. I did a 6 week career rescue program at my local shop and got all the essential gear except a tank, OW/AOW/Rescue and 5 other certs + 20 additional boat dives and BAH. Cost me 4 months of my post 9/11 GI Bill.

My understanding is some orgs like NAUI and SDI/TDI have VA approval nationally, which is why you can easily get the certs paid for with VA. But shops doing gear needs to be set up differently as a career development program/trade school that requires you to purchase gear for classes with additional requirements that makes them a "school" like curriculum, policies, etc. The gear needs to be a requirement of enrollment in the program. I don't think there's a way to just get the gear on its own.

You might check these shops and see if any are local to you:

I am not using VOC rehab. I dont even know what it is. I am using Post 911 GI Bill benefits for my course and it is paying for all of my gear. I already got my wetsuit, dive computer, fins, etc. I am getting BAH for the course as well as the courses all the way through Dive Master.
What shop are you going through and which agency? I’m working towards this with my local shop but PADI will only cover IDC.

What shop are you going through and which agency? I’m working towards this with my local shop but PADI will only cover IDC.

My guess is he is rainbow reef or similar. They are scamming the VA

Nope not Scott.

Rainbow reefs training is sub par. They yelled at me for doing skills neutral during my IDC. I was going to do adaptive scuba instructor after. There instructor didn't even basic dive safety to the point I was concerned about my safety and withdrew from the class and returned the course material unopened to them.

They failed to refund the deposits for my DM and IDC after VA paid them. They owe me 600 dollars that they will never pay because they know filing a lawsuit will cost me more than that.

I have since learned the owner is a petphaphile.

Avoid RR.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a petphaphile, I googled it and the only hit I got was a link back to here.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a petphaphile, I googled it and the only hit I got was a link back to here.
A terrible spelling of pedophile....which in fairness should not be thrown around unless the OP has a link to a court disposition for a crime he was convicted of. I'm no fan of Rainbow Reef, but I'm also a 23 year law enforcement officer and not a fan of people making claims about other people that serious without proof.....

Sin City Scuba in Las Vegas

I don't know about any shops scamming the VA. I have all of the legitimate paperwork from both the shop and the VA. I used the last 4 months I had left of my GI Bill.

I think the main thing is you have to be enrolled in a full program with the understanding you are completing the courses with the goal of using the certification as a career. I am hoping to be an instructor eventually so I am completing the entire course through Divemaster. If anyone would like to see the actual paperwork, I can send it to you privately.

Back
Top Bottom