GHOF coming to Florida 3/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghof

Registered
Reaction score
I am coming to Florida March 9 thru the 14th and am looking for any diving opportunities within 2 or 3 hours of Dade City. I was in Florida at Orlando in October and November TDY as a Red Shirt on Blue Roof duty. Here I was within spittin distance of the worlds best diving and too busy to even think of going. It gave me the warm water bug real bad so if you guys would be kind enough to point me in the right direction for some nice simple diving I would greatly appreciate it. I cannot bring my tech gear on the plane so it has to be easy dives. I would be up for most any type from snorkling to wreck/reef charters, solo diving is OK too.
Thanks, GHOF
AKA Mike

Scubakevdm:
Hmm... I don't know where Dade city is, but I'm down here in Boynton as a blue shirt doing white room duty.
Me either... but I'm working in Key Largo as a no-shirt on blue room duty! Let me know if you make it to the Keys.

Ok, Dade City (Zephyrhills area) is just northeast of Tampa about 30 miles. The Blue Roof is the reference to the hurricane relief in Florida by FEMA and the Red Shirts were the required uniform of the Corps of Engineers. There should be at least 60K people that saw the Red Shirts on their roofs in Orlando area alone. Maybe someone can suggest a couple dive sites?

Tampa has some decent diving, probably New Port Richey is a decent place. They have good spearfishing, which means you get to see a fair amount of sizable and moderately colored fish. The tanks is a group of WWII tanks that are sunk in about 30 feet which are kind of cool to dive once or twice. The down side is the long trip out, and I would estimate temps now at about low to mid 60's, so not exactly swimsuit diving.

You have a choice of springs, which are very different from ocean diving, but the water is crystal clear, and I would highly recommend at least one day of this. The water is also always the same temp, about 69-72 depending on locale, which is great for a 3mm wetsuit, maybe with hooded vest if you go deeper than about 50 feet. Manatee is a decent place fairly close and it's cheap due to being a state park. The down side is they have a diver limit (I believe) so on the weekends you need to get there early. Ginnie is probably the most extensive spring diving, but it's more expensive and a bit further (45 minutes further?). It's still my choice for someone making a trip to Florida for diving when $30 vs. $10 isn't a big deal compared to travel expenses. Hot showers make SI's in moderate temps much nicer. Just hit the shower and fill suit with warm water, and you're good to go.

ghof:
The Blue Roof is the reference to the hurricane relief in Florida by FEMA and the Red Shirts were the required uniform of the Corps of Engineers.

Ahh, Corps of Engineers! You would be with the guys who have been "studying" the drainage problems in my area for thirty years, and have never lifted a shovel. :eyebrow:

well at least they only studied it in your area. They put it to practice in our great state over 100 years ago and are now trying to undo what they did. However, in terms of operation blue roof (that is really what they called it), hats off to you - it helped alot of people out.

Dade City is mainly still considered out in the sticks. Tampa area or bite the bullet and head SE....

BigJetDriver69:
Ahh, Corps of Engineers! You would be with the guys who have been "studying" the drainage problems in my area for thirty years, and have never lifted a shovel. :eyebrow:

Don't shoot the messenger I am just a carpenter! Look at it this way. The best thing that the Corps does is study, as long as they are only studying nothing(ecologically) is harmed.
I just really liked the Orlando area. And the weather was great! I didn't have time to look for dive sites and its been a couple years since I was in salt water and 5 years since I was at Crystal River.
Does anyone know of any charters in Tampa area to the tanks....?
Can I dive solo at Manatee Spring?
GHOF

ghof:
Don't shoot the messenger I am just a carpenter! Look at it this way. The best thing that the Corps does is study, as long as they are only studying nothing(ecologically) is harmed.
I just really liked the Orlando area. And the weather was great! I didn't have time to look for dive sites and its been a couple years since I was in salt water and 5 years since I was at Crystal River.
Does anyone know of any charters in Tampa area to the tanks....?
Can I dive solo at Manatee Spring?
GHOF

Go to http://www.spearboard.com and ask your question, most of the west coast charters hang out over there. There are some excellent charters on the west coast. The water temp however, has been running between 55 and 60 degrees. At least it was a month ago when I was over there shooting and the reports haven't said any different since then.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom