"ghetto rigging" a strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright, I'm trying to put an Inon strobe on my Canon WP-DC8 housing. The inon kit was designed to be used with another Canon housing, but it kinda fits on mine.

Question is, the fiber optics...clipped to the flash diffuser on the Canon, it fires the strobe no problem. But I've beent old I need to do something to make the built in flash be covered or reduced, or else I'll get "double images."

Can someone explain this to me a little better? At first, it made sense, but then, I got confused as I began to wonder why having two strobes wouldn't lead to double images?

Also, anyone have similar experiences ghetto rigging a strobe? How'd you mount the fiber optic link?

I am not sure what double images means but if you don't block the strobe you MIGHT get a whole bunch of strange reflections in your pics. Just use some black electrical tape to black out the strobe except where the fiber attaches to the diffuser. for that most folks use velcro which is simple enough.
Bill

But why would I get strange reflections? What is different about the on camera strobe compared to having two external strobes?

I'm a total newb to strobes :)

I don't think you will get double images. The housing should already have a light baffle on it around the lens. However, you should still block the onboard flash to eliminate the back scatter that you purchased the external strobe to eliminate.

You may be able to accomplish this with a piece of developed color positive film either over the camera strobe or attached to the inside of the housing. This will pass enough infra red light to optically fire Inon strobes (which fire on infra red as well as visible spectrum).

N

Ah, I see Nemrod, that makes perfect sense!

So I could take a piece of developed negative and tape it on the inside of the housing?

I've used gels on flashes before and they always make the flash do something wierd, like, they make a popping sound, and look smokier or burnt or something, or smell that way atleast... Will putting a negative ont he inside of the housing do this?

Thats what I use. Inon strobes use the "clear photo film" I think is what they call it. However I use the developed negative film and a piece of clear tape. Just cut the negative big enough to cover your flash on your camera then tape it down to the camera. You should attach it to the camera to help reduce backscatter problems. Works like a charm and cheaper than ordering it from Inon

Ah, I see Nemrod, that makes perfect sense!

So I could take a piece of developed negative and tape it on the inside of the housing?

I've used gels on flashes before and they always make the flash do something weird, like, they make a popping sound, and look smokier or burnt or something, or smell that way at least... Will putting a negative on the inside of the housing do this?

Not color negative print film but color positive (slide) film. A tail from a piece of developed slide film. It will pass very little light, just enough to fire the optical cable/strobe.

Color positive film, bright areas are clear on the film and dark areas are increasingly dense, black is almost opaque, thus you want the tail of a piece of slide film or a piece of slide film that has not been exposed to light but has been developed so that it is very dark/dense. This produces a similar result to using the Inon "Clear Photo Film" if you follow.

Sorry for the confusion.

N

What is the difference? I have a lot of negatives from 35mm colour film. I have 2 inches of one roll that was never exposed to light but was developed, so it lets very little light through.

With it taped over the camera...why is it that the flash makes a popping noise? It's like the film gets moved by the light passing through it, or something.

What is the difference? I have a lot of negatives from 35mm colour film. I have 2 inches of one roll that was never exposed to light but was developed, so it lets very little light through.

With it taped over the camera...why is it that the flash makes a popping noise? It's like the film gets moved by the light passing through it, or something.

Color negative film is lighter where unexposed to light and darker where exposed to light. Color positive film is darker (opaque) where not exposed to light and lighter where exposed. Both are gradational, I suppose a piece of negative film that is very over exposed would work.

The color negative film may not work, just give it a try and see and report back. I am curious too.

Do not allow the film to touch the strobe lens. Set it to the inside of the housing. Some energy must pass through the film, the slide film I know will pass IR energy. I just cannot say on the negative film. If you have a very dense piece of color negative, it may not pass the IR and overheat/damage the strobe. I cannot say for sure.

N

That piece of color negative film you have there JaJa, the tail, I doubt it was developed. It is completely opaque, do not use that over your strobe.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom