Getting wet in NC.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desendant

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
I'm a Deputy Sheriff in southeastern NC and have been accepted to the departments Dive team. I go the middle of June for my open water through SDI. Looking forward to getting back in the water, I did the PADI OW back in 2003 however never did the final OW dives to gain the cert unfortunately. Just checking in here to see who is in the area and what the temp of the waters are. :snorkels:

Welcome to the board and diving. There are several quarries in NC that offer good diving. There are 2 near Raleigh and a third just west of Asheboro are open to the public and there are several more private ones across the state . What part of the state are you in? Water temp varies depending on quarry, depth and time of year. The shallow areas are starting to get nice but it's still cold a bit deeper and darn cold in the deeper areas.

I don't live in your area, but I headed out to Morehead City, NC to sample your diving, and found it quite good. Ocean diving in your area is seasonal, and especially for the offshore wrecks you'll want to get your Advanced OW and nitrox training and certifications.

I researched the area before and wrapped what others shared with me into my trip report -
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

Richard.

Congrats. You are both blessed and cursed in terms of ocean diving. It's not uncommon to get blown out by weather but when it's on it's fantastic. I was just down there last weekend, it was great.

Quarries are cold but ocean is warmer, can be nice and warm in summer. A 7m and 3m in your dive closet should get you through most conditions; add a hood and gloves for cooler temps. Get your open water cert and do some dives, then at some point progress to nitrox and AOW, maybe wreck too, and enjoy the heck out of your local diving.

There are two online groups. They are centered in Raleigh but have members from all over the state. They have a number of events each year and a good source of dive buddies. Raleigh Area Divers. Down Under Dive Club.
They both live on facebook. Closest quarry to you may be Mystery Lake. Fantasy Lake not too much further. Also you will see a lot of requests for divers for ocean trips. Where is southeast NC? Close to Wilmington?

Check NOAA for U.S. water temps.

Actually, the quarries can get very nice in late summer, high 80s to almost 90 above the first thermocline. Like diving in a hot tub. :)

Actually, the quarries can get very nice in late summer, high 80s to almost 90 above the first thermocline. Like diving in a hot tub. :)
For sure. My wife and I dove at Fantasy Lake once without wetsuits, just bathing suits. Felt great.

For sure. My wife and I dove at Fantasy Lake once without wetsuits, just bathing suits. Felt great.

Got to watch those vicious bluegills though. I did part of my swimming requirements for DM there, so just a swim suit. Finished swim and was hanging on the dock and a bluegill came up and nailed my one chest hair. Emerged from water with blood running down my chest. :(

In late summer I have seen divers diving with just swim suits on "inshore" sites like the Gill. Me I like more protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom