Getting to Cuba from Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch:
I heard that the US is really cracking down on Cuba travel. Several people entering Cuba from Canada were caught last year and were given severe penalties. Too many really GOOD places to dive to risk it, IMHO.

How did these people get caught?

I've been to Jamaica 18 times in 2 years and still haven't been able to bring myself to do the day trip to Cuba. Air Jamaica goes there thru Montego Bay and Kingston.

They DO NOT stamp a US Passport. And, they welcome you with open arms. However, you just have to weigh the risks and benefits.....

I, personally, think it is going to be best to wait.......

Big Hugs~

Alix

The original question asked about how to get to Cuba from Cayman for a day trip.

Getting there is easy enough. Cayman Airways has twice weekly scheduled flights to/from Havana. Check their website for schedule. HOWEVER, the last I recall it was not conducive to making a day trip. Seem to recall it was an evening flight on Fridays and (not sure here) Mondays and sold as a weekend getaway to locals here in Cayman.

I lived eight years in the Virgin Islands and the thing then was people flew to Martinique or St Maarten first. I would love to see Cuba, they say the people are wonderful.

They don't stamp your passport, only the tourist visa. Canadian dollars aren't worth much, everyone I know goes down with US$.
I liked it both time I went down(I'm Canadian). But then again, if there's warm weather, a beach, good rum and clear water, I'm bound to like it/:D

MichaelBaranows:
I also really want to go to Cuba. I am sure it won't be long until Castro dies and then we will all be able to go to Cuba.

Hes one tough Hombre. Dont count on it soon. By the way Ive seen Jack Nicholson and Sean Penn have been there, anyone fine them????

Join the Army and dive there everyday for your year tour.

Just got back.. the Canadian Dollar is not too bad ... they also take Euros.. US Dollars can be used but there is a surcharge or 10% to try and crack down on the underground economy. The Best rates available were for US Dollar travelers cheques from someone other than American Express.

Water is warm and clear, dives are cheap, people are generally nice.. and they make a good beer. Saddly there was an lot of dead coral this year .. much more than in the past, but I understand that that is happening all over the area.

Don't count on things changing too fast when Fidel goes .. his brother is the heir apparent and he seems to have quite a bit of support. On the US side there are a lot of people supporting sanctions for reasons that have nothing to do with Fidel or even Comunism..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom