Getting to Bonaire from the left coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I am a little discouraged, trying to plan the trip in September and am not having a lot of success with the flights. Getting there without flying clear across the US is proving to be a pain, unless I shorten the trip to a 7 day vacation and that includes two days for flying. Anyone have any suggestions, besides the obvious (make the trip a 14 day vacation, haven't got the time.)?

Yep..I found a continental flight into Aruba for $535 from Seattle...You can then take Tiara Air direct to Bonaire for under 200....I did this for a 10 day trip.....

Liz

Can you go through Grand Cayman or Cancun? Just a thought.

If you fly direct its Continental overnight or Delta on saturday.

Otherwise its to Curacao, Aruba, PC and hop over.

I go from North Carolina and plan a full days travel coming and going! That's just how it is.

I don't know about your coast but Delta is supposed to be adding a midweek(wednesday) flight to Bonaire from Atlanta this month. Was just in Bonaire last week and read about it. Not sure of exact starting date.

From our side of the country, except for what Liz posted, which may get to Aruba too late to fly over, the shortest, quickest way is Continental through Houston. All the above posters (except Liz) are using connections we can't get to in time from the left coast. Which then requires an overnight in ATL or DFW/HOU outbound

You burn most of Friday and arrive on Bonaire Saturday morning doing this. You also return on Saturday morning. There's also a Sunday return option through Newark. Note that both departures leave early so your last dive day is shortened also.

You can be in the water by 10-10:30AM Sat. after your BMP orientation. The resorts store your luggage til check-in, some also have breakfast when you arrive.

Fri 5-Sep-08
Seattle (SEA)
Depart 12:45 pm to Houston (IAH)
Arrive 6:57 pm
Duration: 4hr 12mn
CO Flight: 366

Houston (IAH)
Depart 11:30 pm
Arrive 5:15 am +1 day
Duration: 4hr 45mn
CO Flight: 1898

Total distance: 4,003 mi (6,442 km)
Total duration: 8hr 57mn (13hr 30mn with connections)

Sat 13-Sep-08
Kralendijk (BON)
Depart 7:30 am to Houston (IAH)
Arrive 11:20 am
Duration: 4hr 50mn
CO Flight: 1899

Houston (IAH)
Depart 12:48 pm
Terminal C to Seattle (SEA)
Arrive 3:28 pm
Duration: 4hr 40mn
CO Flight: 267

Total distance: 4,003 mi (6,442 km)
Total duration: 9hr 30mn (10hr 58mn with connections)
Total price for this trip: $798.80

Or back Sunday through Newark:

Sun 14-Sep-08
Kralendijk (BON)
Depart 6:00 am to Newark (EWR)
Arrive 10:45 am
Duration: 4hr 45mn
CO Flight: 1556

Newark (EWR)
Depart 2:05 pm
Terminal C to Seattle (SEA)
Arrive 4:55 pm
Duration: 5hr 50mn
CO Flight: 1681

Total distance: 4,409 mi (7,096 km)
Total duration: 10hr 35mn (13hr 55mn with connections)
Total price for this trip: $803.30

hth,

SJ...

Tiara is now flying 6 days a week to Bonaire from Aruba, 2 flights a day. The AUA arrival from the west coast arrives in the afternoon, the Tiara flight leaves to Bonaire at 7pm.

On the return, you get into Aruba from Bonaire just after 12.00 noon, and the departure flight back to the west coast is around 3:35 pm....so you are set...

Liz

Going out of SEA next month-
The best schedule for Price was traveling mid week, leaving SEA at midnight, connections in Dallas and San Juan then on to Bonaire. The return trip was much more user friendly, but still leaves Bonaire at 7:30 a.m. The other option was to spend a night in Atlanta mid-trip so it was 6's. Price had a little more input then schedule, but as you know, with the time change etc. you just can't get that far east very easy. We just added an extra day for travel time, and we will see how that works on this trip.

Just thought I'd add in my 2 cents... I live in Seattle and when I fly to Bonaire I usually end up booking RT air with a major airline between Seatac and Curacao. Then take a private, puddle jumper over to Bonaire. I think the cost is around $40 one way.

Only problem is if you need to get to Curacao early in the morning for a connection, the private planes don't begin running until afternoon. If that happens I book a one way between Bonaire and Curacao with the local, large carrier (I can't think if the name right now...). It think it was around $60 last summer.

Sounds complicated, but it's not. I've never had a problem and I actually SAVE around $120-$250 doing it this way.

The connection is usually Seattle-Miami-Curacao. I did take a trip through San Juan once that flew directly into Bonaire, but it took longer...

If you want info on the small carriers, you can PM me. I think I've got it around here somewhere... I'll look harder if you take me with you! :blinking:

Funny all you Seattlites going to Bonaire. We are too the end of the month...

We flying on the Continental flight going through Houston going out on Friday, then running through Newark on Sunday. Seems weird to fly that way coming home, but it was much faster, as there was a long layover in Houston. I think our tickets were only $650 as there was some sort of sale going on. One day they were $850, the next they had dropped...

Jack

Back
Top Bottom