getting there early - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Only 9 days until we leave, but it's a long series of flights, including a red eye, before we get in at 5:36 on a Sat. morning. First time to Bonaire for me, second for him. He stayed at Buddy before, and it was years ago, so doesn't really recall much in the way of eateries etc. Just remembers the diving. lol. He also got there in the evening and was able to check right in.
We can't check into the condo (Sand Dollar) until later, so I am wondering about what to do. We will be tired, so for this day I would like to have some sort of plan rather than drive aimlessly in a daze. I understand that when we pick up the truck we can store our luggage there, which is good.
1. Breakfast. Where is a good spot to have breakfast that is more than a bakery (I avoid wheat)? Preferably a nice outdoor/ocean view spot would be a good start.
2. Relaxation. I understand that we can hang out at the Sand Dollar until the room is ready, but does anyone suggest anywhere else?
3. Dive Friends. I don't think I will be up to diving as yet, but should we maybe get the checking in/paperwork at DF done now?
4. Lunch. Any easy, casual suggestion?
Hopefully by then we can check-in.
5. Shopping. Now that we have access to the condo, I would like to get some groceries. Where is the best place for selection/prices? Is there a market for fruit/veggies?

Thanks so much

"Between 2 Buns" is in the small shopping center in front of Sand Dollar. Their breakfast and lunch food is simply amazing. El Mundo near city center also has great breakfast and burgers for lunch. Neither are waterfront, but I can't think of any waterfront eateries that offer this caliber of food. Both are quite casual. If you want oceanfront breakfast you'll probably have to try one of the resorts with restaurants, like Buddy Dive or Captain Don's.

For relaxation while waiting for your room you can grab your mask/fins/snorkel and a towel and head to Donkey Beach, Te Amo Beach, or Sunset/Bari Beach. All are in town, casual, and offer easy opportunity to get wet without much effort. You might also be able to catch a nap in the shade at the Sand Dollar pool.

In my experience there's not much to be gained by checking in to your dive op until you're also ready to do your buoyancy check dive. The paperwork doesn't take much time at all, so there's not much reason to do it ahead of time.

We're never able to shop at just one market, but I've heard quite a few folks raving about the selection at the new Van den Tweels market. IMHO Tweels definately has the best selection of meats, cheeses, and produce. But we like other markets for "American" versions of cereal, yogurt, and canned foods. We shop at Tweels, Warehouse Bonaire, and Zung Khong in Hato (north of Sand Dollar).

If you have not done so, you should also check with Sand Dollar or the owner from whom you are renting the condo to determine if the unit will be occupied the night of your arrival. Official check in is not until the afternoon, but Sand Dollar is pretty flexible about the real access time, if the cleaning schedule permits. If nobody was staying in your unit during the night of your early AM arrival, then it is probably clean and you probably can have access. You may be charged a fee for early access, but not always. It is also possible that you can purchase access to another unit just for Sat. AM. Some folks go to the beach chaises and sleep under the blue sky, listening to gentle surf, while others go snorkeling off the beach. There is a lot to see in and around the rocks at the platform in front of Sand Dollar, around the BDA dock and about 50 yds further south at the "aquarium" among the old hotel foundation. Have fun!

Breakfast
Type: Waterfront Breakfast
The Calabas Restaurant serves a daily casual beachside buffet breakfast , offering both a light continental breakfast as well as a full American breakfast.
It's at the Divi Flamingo. Dining at Two of Bonaire's Finest Restaurants - Divi Resorts
Since you'll be waiting there, Eddy's at the Sand Dollar for lunch? http://www.divesanddollar.com/complex.html#eddys

All that's left at Buddy's now is the PoolBar. Richards? - the better restaurant - closed a few years ago IIRC.

Or there's RumRunners and the Pizza Kitchen at Habitat - nice water views from there.

Is there a market for fruit/veggies?
Sometimes the Venezuelans sell fresh produce at the fruit market downtown - http://www.tourismbonaire.com/en/activities-events/shopping-entertainment/groceries

It's this place - http://image.shutterstock.com/displ...e-caribbean-seaside-fruit-market-49590496.jpg

When I book, I get guaranteed early checkin. This means an extra fee, but well worth it. You may still be able to make this arrangement.

+1 for early checkin when doing a red eye. Fee is generally 1 nights stay as the room needs to be empty very early in the morning.

We do our orientation, hit the room for several hours sleep and then do our checkout dive in the afternoon. It costs a bit more, but seems well worth it when we see the miserable look on the faces of fellow travelers that have been camping in the hotel lobby all day waiting for a room.

Thanks for all the tips! I will look into the restaurant suggestions. We booked through VRBO and it is booked solid so no early check in (but no harm to check in case they leave early). Not too keen on snorkelling or diving then, as we will have our valuables until we have safe access.That's ok. Plenty of time for that :)

---------- Post added October 31st, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

I don't want to camp out in the lobby. That's silly to me when there is always somewhere to go and something to do without access to the room. I never sleep after a red eye. Screws me up worse... and wastes valuable vacation time.

Debbie--you will be able to check your luggage while you go off somewhere. If you are interested in one day access to a condo for the purposes of security/nap/shower before gaining access to your reserved unit, ask the owner from whom you are renting to check with Sand Dollar to see if Sand Dollar can provide it for you. Again, there will be a fee for that extra access. If the owner won't do that on your behalf, PM me and maybe I can help.

DiverDebbie,

We're on the redeye out of Houston 8 Nov. at midnite, sounds like we're on the same flight possibly.

Can't help you on what to do getting there early and not having a room except maybe find a pool with lounge chairs in the shade.

Here's a couple sites that have some good info...

Update Bonaire
www.infobonaire.com

Also, they'll give you a map when you pick up your truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom