Getting the most out of an Intensive Divemaster program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sirket

Registered
Reaction score
I have 2 weeks of vacation I need to use and would like to use it to get my Divemaster rating.

I realize that an intensive course is not the best way to become a good Divemaster but I would like to earn the rating first and then work on really polishing my skills through an Internship without the stress of worrying about passing a course.

Having said that I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any advice on how to maximize what I learn during an intensive course?

2. Can anyone recommend a program in the Florida area- ProDive, EASE, etc.? (I used ProDive in the past- I have no idea if they are still around). Cost is not an issue-program quality is what I care about.

I'd appreciate any guidance people can provide.

Thanks, -Don

I'm going to try out Rainbow Reef next month. From what I can find, the three main IDC facilities in that area are all good.

I wasn't aware of Rainbow Reef- thanks for the heads up- I will check them out.

Any other recommendations?

Just finished at Rainbow Reef. It was an outstanding week. I will say that for the intensive programs, you need to treat it like a short internship. They made me feel like part of the crew and not a student. I learned a ton there and I would highly recommend them.
:cheers:

You will get back what you put into it. I showed up thoroughly prepared. I had read the DM book, the entire Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and did the online dive theory course. You could get away with not doing the online course, but the assessments and quizzes where good practice for the DM exam format.

I'd check out the e-learning options and see if that suits. This way you'd have more time during your two weeks to spend in the water instead of in the classroom...

Go with EASE..... Hands down the best program.

There is a lot of material to cover, so I would recommend outlining a realistic learning plan and get your crew pack in advance. Not having to stress and worry about your academics will make your trip more fun and relaxing.

I made three copies of the three major PADI exams and read those manuals three times for review, doing the exam after each read, so by the third round I finished all three tests with 100% scores. I also used the Encyclopedia workbook to create a huge stack of physics questions and made scratch paper with the formulas printed on the sheets, so I could practice on my flight and during down time. I can't say how many times I read the Encyclopedia, but it was numerous...

E-learning is the best way to go. much more convenient, spend time on the things you need to and brush over the things you don't.

there's nothing wrong with doing an intensive course, it's a personal thing as to what works. So don't downplay the idea for the benefit of forum trolls :)

There is a lot of material to cover, so I would recommend outlining a realistic learning plan and get your crew pack in advance. Not having to stress and worry about your academics will make your trip more fun and relaxing.
I already have the crew pack and have been through the dive master book already. I am halfway through the encyclopaedia and will go back through that.

I made three copies of the three major PADI exams and read those manuals three times for review, doing the exam after each read, so by the third round I finished all three tests with 100% scores. I also used the Encyclopedia workbook to create a huge stack of physics questions and made scratch paper with the formulas printed on the sheets, so I could practice on my flight and during down time. I can't say how many times I read the Encyclopedia, but it was numerous...
Where did you get the PADI Exams to practice with? I feel reasonably confident on all aspects of the program, but obviously if there are any gotchas I'd prefer to be even more prepared.

Just finished at Rainbow Reef. It was an outstanding week. I will say that for the intensive programs, you need to treat it like a short internship. They made me feel like part of the crew and not a student. I learned a ton there and I would highly recommend them.
I would love to have done Rainbow Reef but they don't have a December divemaster class :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom