Getting Ready to go DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReyeR:
Are those distances from the front element of the lens?

No, the measurement is done from the plane of the film. With 60mm, you can focus very very close to the front of the port.
105mm without diopter, the subject is probably about 6-8 inches in front of the port.

dbh:
when I don't know what to expect on a dive, I put on the 60mm. If i see something really small, I have an external diopter that I can put on u/w. Both of these pics are w/ the 60mm with NO diopter.

Dave

Nice pictures. Personally I think a diopter is not as useful for 60mm since the diopter does not magnify the image but it will reduce minimal focusing distance. The 60mm focusing distance is already very short. If you add a diopter and move closer, your port will prettty much be right on top of the subject which if it does not run away, it would still be tricky to aim the strobe properly. However, I think the diopter is very useful for 105mm and 70-180mm.

alcina:
Don't tell but the 20D body landed a week ago - housing on the way. Won't lay hands on it all til I land in the US in Sept and won't have it in the ocean until October. I can wait :11:

I honestly don't expect this system to become my "every day, every dive" rig - too many times I get a call 5 minutes before we are leaving and it takes too long to get set-up!

So I have more toys :crafty:

Welcome to the darkside, eventhough you are not quite on the same side as I do (as you were being misguided and went with the enemy instead :D )

Wow, waiting until October being trying out your new rig underwater, obviously you have a lot more self control than I do, comparing to when I get my new toy :)

ssra30:
Welcome to the darkside, eventhough you are not quite on the same side as I do (as you were being misguided and went with the enemy instead :D

Well, I have plans to build a new house in the next 14 months, so I had to watch my pennies :wink:

btw - I always thought the "darkside" was video...of which I have six systems in the closet :icorolley

Toys are good. Shopping is fun! :D

alcina:
btw - I always thought the "darkside" was video...of which I have six systems in the closet :icorolley

Ok, it is the other darkside then :)

alcinia:
Toys are good. Shopping is fun! :D
Yeah, shopping is fun but paying credit card is no fun and have to work to pay for shopping is definitely not fun although your job is a lot more fun than mine :(

I start to worry about all those video cameras in the closet! You are not working for the CIA on the sideline by any chance (or whatever the australian equavalent is :) ).

Well the all of my research and thoughts of my upcoming dive trip just got the better of me, and it's done... at least for now.

I ended up getting the 10.5 and the 105. I think it's because I always liked mutiples of ten. :D

Everything should be in Israel next week. Now I just hope I can get it out of customs without much hassle.

ssra,

Where are you at in LOS? I will be winding down in Patong for about a week after Lembeh. Maybe you can critque some of my first shots.

ssra30:
Nice pictures. Personally I think a diopter is not as useful for 60mm since the diopter does not magnify the image but it will reduce minimal focusing distance. The 60mm focusing distance is already very short. If you add a diopter and move closer, your port will prettty much be right on top of the subject which if it does not run away, it would still be tricky to aim the strobe properly. However, I think the diopter is very useful for 105mm and 70-180mm.

The diopter actually fits both the 60 & the 105. I carry it in my thigh pocket "just in case" when I am diving either lens.

djkpsu:
Well the all of my research and thoughts of my upcoming dive trip just got the better of me, and it's done... at least for now.

I ended up getting the 10.5 and the 105. I think it's because I always liked mutiples of ten. :D

Everything should be in Israel next week. Now I just hope I can get it out of customs without much hassle.

ssra,

Where are you at in LOS? I will be winding down in Patong for about a week after Lembeh. Maybe you can critque some of my first shots.

I am in Bangkok. You can always post some of your photos here though. I am sure many people can give some feedback on the pictures.

I hope you willl have a chance to dive around Bunaken as well when you are in Lembeh. It will be a nice place to try out 10.5mm. Lembeh itself does not have a great viz. However one of my divebuddies planned to use 10.5mm in Lembeh on our upcoming trip but I just can't quite imagine where or how yet. Also pay attention to your strobe position and your fins. The lens give 180view diagonally so if you are not careful, you can get bits and pieces of yourself in the picture accidentally :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom