Getting Ready to go DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djkpsu

Contributor
Reaction score
Mitzpe Ramon, Israel/ Eliat on the weekends!!
I have been doing some research into what gear I wan to buy, and here is what I am thinking about.

Camera - Nikon D70s Digital SLR Camera with 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Zoom Lens ($1050)
Wide Angle Lens - Nikon 20mm f/2.8D Ultra Wide Angle AF Nikkor Lens ($500)
Macro Lens - Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Telephoto Auto Focus Lens ($400)
Housing - Ikelite 6807.1 ($1250)
Strobes - Ikelite Substrobe DS-125 / Sync Cord / Ball & Socket Arm System x 2 ($800 each)
Flat Port - Ikelite SLR Flat Port for 3.1-4.1" Lenses 5502.41 ($110)
Dome Port - Ikelite SLR Housing Wide Angle Dome Port for the Nikon 18mm & 20mm f/2.8 "D" Lenses 5503.20 ($150)

On the lenses, would it be worth it to step up to the 10.5 fisheye for wide or the 105mm for macro? What would I be getting/loosing by changing either?

On the whole setup, is it good for a starter DSLR kit?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the prices listed are about the average I have been seeing on various websites. If anyone knows where I can get better prices (shipped to Israel), please let me know.

I would skip the 20mm and go for the 105 macro - great for those cleaning station shots and other small things that you can't get close to - or the 10.5 fisheye - it's just a great lens. IMHO the 20mm is going to be quite limited and not wide enough. You may also want to consider the 15mm fisheye - this is probably the #1 choice for WA for most people and most situations. The 10.5 is harder to light/use to full effect.

YMMV but choose what turns you on the most. I am in love with the tiny things so macro lenses are prriority for me. On the WA side I am willing to compromise and not have every lens for every situation.

The 18-70mm is, I think, a good "walking around" lens. Different people report different views on it (and similar) underwater. AGain, it all depends on your style. At this time I don't think I will be housing my similar lens...but I think it would make a good "recon" lens on a new dive site.

I'm adding to (not moving to, but adding to) my system:
Canon 20D
100 Macro
60 macro
10-22 canon zoom
17-85 canon zoom (probably no port at this time for this one...)

Not sure if that helps...looks like you are building a lovely system - looking forward to your results.

First off, I would skip the 18-70mm lens unless you are going to get it for topside. It can be used underwater but is mediocre at best. Next, for WA, I would go with the Sigma 15mm. It is less than the 20mm you listed and wider. With the money that you save by not getting the 18-70 and switching to the Sig 15, get a 105. While the 60mm is a great lens for fish pics and bigger macro, to shoot something small, you have to be about 1" from it which makes lighting hard.

FWIW, I use a 60mm, 105mm and a 12-24mm for WA.

HTH,
Dave

Agreed pretty much with anyone else. I would definitely skip the 20mm and plan to use 18-70mm only for land. If you want a lens in that range mainly for fish portrait, the 17-55mm is a much better lens, sharper and will focus much closer. However, not every housing manufacturer supports it and I am not sure if Ikelite does or not. It is also significantly more expensive than the 18-70mm.
3 most popular wide angle lenses are 12-24mm, 10.5mm and sigma 15mm. 15mm fisheye will give you about 107 degree view, since you using it with 1.5x cropped sensor, you won't see much of the fisheye effect. 12-24mm is very good, it is rectilinear, at 12mm will give you a bit over 90 degree. It is not as wide as the other two but with the zoom, it is a bit more versatile. However it really needs to be used with 8 inch dome which Ikelite now has. 10.5mm is becoming my favourite lens. It is very wide and will focus almost right on top of the domeport.
On macro side, 60mm is a good starter lens. It is a bit difficult to take picture of something 1/2 inch long as you would have to get very very close. 105mm will give you more working distance but at a price. Autofocus is much slower and depth of field is very puny (which is good in certain situation). Ultimately, it is probably easier to start with 60mm but you will most lkely end up with 105mm sooner or later if you are interested in macro.
My prefered macro lens is the 70-180mm but Ikelite does not support it so I guess there is not much point in talking about it.

I'm adding to (not moving to, but adding to) my system:
Canon 20D
100 Macro
60 macro
10-22 canon zoom
17-85 canon zoom (probably no port at this time for this one...)
Alcina, are you breaking down and decide to come over on this darkside :D

Everyone thanks for the info.

Now I am leaning toward the 15mm Sigma for WA and the 105mm for macro. With the 105 can't it be counter productive on some things if you have to stay further back (i.e. more water between you and the subject)?

BTW - the 18-70 would only be for topside use. I just figured since that is the one that normally comes with the body, why not get it.

djkpsu:
Everyone thanks for the info.

Now I am leaning toward the 15mm Sigma for WA and the 105mm for macro. With the 105 can't it be counter productive on some things if you have to stay further back (i.e. more water between you and the subject)?

BTW - the 18-70 would only be for topside use. I just figured since that is the one that normally comes with the body, why not get it.

For the 105mm, you are not really moving that far back. On non cropped sensor, you get 1:1 reproduction at around 12 inches. With 60mm, you get 1:1 reproduction at around 6 inches so you are not backing that far. It will be easier to aim the strobe and you will have easier time taking pictures of skittish critters.
However, if you are trying to take a picture of a fish that is 2 ft long then prey for a really really good viz :)
I just noticed that you will be in Lembeh strait soon, definitely get the 105mm. You might want to consider a 4+ diopter or if you feel adventurous, a teleconverter, probably the 1.7X for those pgymy seahorses as well :wink:

ssra30:
Alcina, are you breaking down and decide to come over on this darkside :D

Don't tell but the 20D body landed a week ago - housing on the way. Won't lay hands on it all til I land in the US in Sept and won't have it in the ocean until October. I can wait :11:

I honestly don't expect this system to become my "every day, every dive" rig - too many times I get a call 5 minutes before we are leaving and it takes too long to get set-up!

So I have more toys :crafty:

ssra30:
For the 105mm, you are not really moving that far back. On non cropped sensor, you get 1:1 reproduction at around 12 inches. With 60mm, you get 1:1 reproduction at around 6 inches so you are not backing that far.
Are those distances from the front element of the lens?

when I don't know what to expect on a dive, I put on the 60mm. If i see something really small, I have an external diopter that I can put on u/w. Both of these pics are w/ the 60mm with NO diopter.

indo-crab01.jpg

French%20Angel02.jpg

Dave

Back
Top Bottom