Getting my kids certified and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are ever in Monterey, O'Neill wetsuits has an outlet up the road in Capitola that sells used kids wetsuits (tons of kids surf in the area). Cheaper than new, like $60, and usually in pretty good condition. I think they have a trade-up program where you can exchange 3 old ones for one brand-new one as well.

Both my boys were certified at 10. Now 15 and 13. DIY saved lots of money. I had very good luck with eBay and got gear that matches mine. Plus ended up with a couple spares. Initial BCD’s took some work to find smaller ones, and have since bought more matching ones to my gear. Several Mk10’s and g200b, g250, r190’s. I also had good luck with cobra computers, so we all have the same there too. It’s great diving with my kids. Have fun!

We had a fair number of local junior divers when my daughter got started at age 10. That meant a fairly strong used gear market that we took full advantage of. Her first BCD cost me about $30 used. used kids wetsuits were cheap and usually barely used. She used my hand-me down regs.
Even now at age 16, she is in mostly used gear. Used BPW, used drysuit (had to have new boots installed, and just added dry gloves), used travel BCD for warm water dives, etc. The only new stuff she has is a wetsuit and the Jet fins she wears with the drysuit. Her dive computer was won as a door prize at the LDS Christmas party a couple of years ago, so its cost was about $20 for the raffle tickets!

I did this with my daughters. Both got certified at 10, and were clearly not done growing. I live in FL, and close to the water, so in most cases, they can get by without a wetsuit. The older daughter has a wetsuit, but not the younger one yet.

They both took their classes in their own gear, which I think helps to gain familiarity. Apart from the wetsuit, my biggest concern was the BC, as most out there are not designed for kids. If they are, there's a good chance that they'll outgrow them quickly. I opted to get them Zeagle BCDs. The oldest has a Lazer (now discontinued), the youngest has a Zena. Apart from a BP/W these are really the only ones I've found that can grow as the kid grows. They have the usual adjustability, but also offer different size sections that can be replaced. For now, they are both still in Smalls, but if they grow out of that, I can get a Medium shoulder and use with the rest of the Small BCD. I had to do similar with my own, Medium with Large shoulder section.

Wow, thanks for all the great responses! It does seem like BCs may be the biggest issue. I went to the LDS, and the only kid-sized BCs they have are for training, and the owner said they don't often sell them used because they don't get a lot of use and are expensive to replace... So I guess I just need to start watching out for used gear. I wouldn't be averse to getting them BPW, but it looks like a new wing costs just about as much as a BC.

Wife and I have simple Aeries Atmos 1 computers, which I believe use the modified Haldane algorithm. Would it be important that they have computers using the same algorithm?

Wow, thanks for all the great responses! It does seem like BCs may be the biggest issue. I went to the LDS, and the only kid-sized BCs they have are for training, and the owner said they don't often sell them used because they don't get a lot of use and are expensive to replace... So I guess I just need to start watching out for used gear. I wouldn't be averse to getting them BPW, but it looks like a new wing costs just about as much as a BC.

Wife and I have simple Aeries Atmos 1 computers, which I believe use the modified Haldane algorithm. Would it be important that they have computers using the same algorithm?
Yeah. See if they can fit in a small. With many of the Zeagle BCs (with Personal Fit), when they outgrow it, you can just buy the section you need, rather than replacing the entire BC.

For the computers, it’s nice if they are running the same algorithm, but not required. The rule is that whichever computer is more conservative in a group is the one that decides. For young kids and rec dives, it’s probably not going to show up as a concern.

My kids have Oceanics, and I use a Shearwater. Their computers can use either DSAT or Pelagic Z+. My Shearwater can run Buhlmann or VPM-B. I have theirs on Z+ and mine on Buhlmann, as they appeared to match up better on repetitive dives.

To follow up, my kids did indeed get certified this past weekend. I was in the water with them on their OW cert dives and my wife joined in for the last dive, so we are officially a diving family. For the class, they borrowed most of the equipment except personal gear from their instructor. Both are close in size and fit my wife's old wetsuits, and my daughter fits her booties. So we only needed to buy one pair of booties and fins. The instructor didn't have a BC small enough for the 10 yo, but my wife's Zeagle was able to shrink small enough to fit him, and she borrowed an adult BC for the dive. I guess the plan will be to rent and bring along BCs and regs for the first trip and keep looking for used gear.

... the 12 yo dove with me (and an instructor) in Hawaii and loved it (no judgment please).

Sorry, I have to give you my judgment: your 12 year old diving with you in Hawaii... awesome!

Just my two cents: I've certed quite a number of younger kids, 10 to 14 year olds, and they have always been enthusiastic and capable, some of my best students.

As for gear: if you're planning to travel, I would avoid the impulse to buy and bring all your gear with you... especially BCDs. Kids won't outgrow a regulator, but everything else they will. Most shops at dive destinations will rent gear relatively inexpensively when you dive with them. Occasionally a dive op will include rental gear with the price of the diving. Run the numbers, consider the cost both ways (and include the hassle of packing and transporting your own gear...) and see what works best for your family. If you choose to buy some gear, a shorty wetsuit (if you're travelling to warm water), fins, a dive computer, mask, regulator... in that order of priority.

And be sure to take lots of pictures. Kids grow up fast.

I guess the plan will be to rent and bring along BCs and regs for the first trip and keep looking for used gear.

Fins and mask that fit well should be a priority. Fins are often overlooked as something that need to fit just right, but they can make a big difference in how the kids enjoy multiple days of diving. And the upside is that fins are pretty inexpensive (compared to other scuba gear), so you don't need to compromise when you find the right ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom