Getting into the industry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisNI

New
Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some advice/help.

I just posted this in the intro section but this section suits my info base a lot better so I do apologize for breaking any rules/stepping on toes. I'm doing an entry exam on Wednesday so kind of need some info before making a decision.

Little intro:
My name is Chris, 26, I'm originally from Belfast Northern Ireland, last June 2012 I moved to Canada with my wife as a permanent resident and currently living in Orillia, just outside Barrie in Ontario.

The main reason I'm coming here is to get involved in the community as I've wanted to get into diving for quite some time but due to money/time I've never been able to.

Since moving to Canada I've decided to go back to college and noticed a local college offers a commercial diving course:
Dive Course

Can someone in the industry or has some knowledge of the industry let me know if the course is relevant in any way please. I'd rather not pay $16k for a course that's a glorified rec diver and have to do more qualifications on top of it.

Also could you tell me a little about the industry especially in Canada, how much work is there, average starting wage, etc. Just something to give me a rough idea.

I have an uncle who was a commercial diver for many years and has given me some great help and advice but as his was mostly UK based and in the North Sea it's a little harder to relate to Canada.

Or if this is in the wrong place or could be better suited elsewhere please let me know.

Any help or information would be awesome!

Chris, I'll try to answer your questions, but first I'd like to welcome you and your wife to Canada! BTW, I love Belfast; the people are friendly and there's always lots of Guinness! Hopefully, you'll like it in Orillia (I grew up in Aurora and Richmond Hill).

You certainly picked the right school! I helped Bob Landry put together this program and taught there part-time while I was the Diving Officer (Navy) at DCIEM in Downsview. Since then, the school has developed an excellent reputation in the Commercial Diving Industry. So if you want to be a Commercial Diver, it's a great place to start. The program is designed to give you real usable skill sets, as opposed to putting in time so the school can just make money.

Regardless of where you go for training, you still have to land a job. 'The ticket' isn't any guarantee of getting a job (anymore than university graduation from Harvard or Cambridge ensures employment). You have the basics, so what do you have to offer? Obviously a good school (like Seneca) answers many but not all questions of the employer...

I've hired quite a few Divers in my time. What always seemed to amaze me were the many applications coming from people with a ticket, but with no construction related experience. They took a course and did well, but never worked on a construction site! They never worked and got their hands dirty! I don't know your history, but a background as a Welder or Rigger would go a long way toward employment.

Once you graduate, you will be licensed by the Diver's Certification Board of Canada (DCBC). This certification is recognized by Australia (ADAS), France, Norway, South Africa, the United Kingdom (HSE) and the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA). It means you can go anywhere in the world and work within the limits of your certification. Where you work largely depends upon wither you want to work on or offshore. Income is dependent upon the area and if you are working under contract, or as an employee of the company.

In any event, you will have to Tender for a period of time. This requirement applies to everyone and time can range from a couple of months to a couple of years. So how much do you make? Well it really depends... Statistics Canada will tell you that over 60% of Commercial Divers make 'over $50,000 a year' (their highest category of classification). But there is a huge variance. Many Divers do it because they like the life-style. Most Divers end-up working under contract and it's feast or famine.

When I went to the oil industry, I was surprised at how little I ended-up making. I did however perceiver and got licensed as a Diving Supervisor and moved into saturation. Money improves at each step. I was among the fortunate to be offered a permanent full time position with Global Industries, one of the world's largest Diving Contractors (now Technip) and for me opportunities continued. When I left them I was the Diving Director, India and Pacific Region with an annual salary of $350K plus benefits like an office (Jakarta), home/household staff, limo/with driver and access to the corporate jet (a long way from doing a two mile ocean training swim with the Navy). When I left, I made more as a Diving Project Consultant to Big Oil.

Where it all goes is like many jobs. It depends on you, luck and the direction the industry takes in the future. Personally, I think that the industry will continue to grow (although at times in fits and starts). I'd like to wish you luck in your quest!

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom