Getting from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pscottbaker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading to Grand Cayman in a few weeks and I want to do some diving on Little Cayman so I need to get transportation. From what I've read the better option is air travel. Does anyone have any experience with flying from Grand Cayman to Little Caymen? Any recommendations on flight operators?

Afaik flying is the only option - short of an expensive private boat charter. There's no ferries or anything like that.

https://www.caymanairways.com/

Last edited:
are you talking about just going for the day, or to stay there? Not sure a day trip works, AFAIK scheduled air service flies high enough that time to fly must be considered. Best to stay there if you want to dive there. If you're staying on Grand Cayman, better to focus on getting yourself to the best diving on Grand.

Steve is right. You pretty much have to fly Cayman Air. You will be on a "Twin Otter" I think they call it. It seats 19 folks. The price is usually around $150 rt give or take. I guess the only other way would be to charter someone with a private plane to fly you there. If you're talking about a day trip it's just not practical but if you stay a few days it may be well worth it.

Hi, we did a trip to Little last year, and are leaving for Brac in a couple of days. The air travel is painless and not too pricey. But I agree it's not for a day trip, plan to stay a while. We were at LC Beach Resort and it was outstanding (especially the food!). The diving is the best I've experienced in the Caribbean. We thought we'd give the Brac a try, but we'll be coming back to LC in the future.

BTW - anybody know what the current water temp is off Brac? Thanks!

Last month it was 81F on every dive, I have no newer info, I hope you have a blast, where are you staying?

Hi, we did a trip to Little last year, and are leaving for Brac in a couple of days. The air travel is painless and not too pricey. But I agree it's not for a day trip, plan to stay a while. We were at LC Beach Resort and it was outstanding (especially the food!). The diving is the best I've experienced in the Caribbean. We thought we'd give the Brac a try, but we'll be coming back to LC in the future.

Two weeks ago it was 81F, with occasional sightings of 82F. It looks like the Weather Buoy on Little Cayman is currently down, but when it is up, you can get real time (hourly) reports (including water temp).

For topside weather, there's a Adobe Flash-based weather station on the web for Owen Roberts Airport (CYB) on the Brac. Yes, I mention that its Adobe Flash because this website doesn't work on the iPhone or iPad.

BTW, on Facebook, one of the DMs from Reef Divers on the Brac reported yesterday (Tues) that they were expecting big seas today (Wed). I agree: here's a link to WindGuru, which is another weather-related tool that can help: it looks like they're currently having 6ft (2m) seas from the Southeast, which will make getting out of the inlet at Brac Reef a bit rough ... diving will (obviously) be on the Brac's northside for a few days.

As per WindGuru, it looks like the wind & waves are scheduled to subside & shift on Saturday night (bad for windsurfers, but good for divers); their suggest that winds/seas will come up again on next Wednesday, but you know how longer term weather forecasts are...

Hope this helps & Enjoy!

-hh

BDSC has it right - Cayman Airways Twin Otters are the only way to get to Little Cayman other than a private plane.

BDSC has it right - Cayman Airways Twin Otters are the only way to get to Little Cayman other than a private plane.

If you are on the Brac, you could get to (LC) by boat

We'll be at Brac Reef Resort. We had an absolute great time at their sister resort on Little Cayman, hoping for a repeat! thanks for the reply.

---------- Post added ----------

Thanks so much for the links!

Back
Top Bottom