Getting Closer to Morays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So can anyone give me some tips on this? Probably opening up a can of worms on this, but I digress...

I usually hold at about 7-10 ft. away or so and use the zoom, but I really want to get a little closer to get some better "teeth" shots (but not close enough to be IN the teeth).

So what's the story? I know most folks say they are pretty much blind, will wait for food to swim by, etc.

I'd like a little more info. than that, heading to the Bahamas in two weeks (Blackbeard's).

Muchos gracias.

Hi Aggiediver. Don't be shy with the morays. Unless you're carrying food or unless the moray you're dealing with is accustomed to being fed by divers, you have nothing to fear from them. In fact, your biggest problem will be getting close enough without the eel retreating back into its hole. The photos at http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id62.htm and http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id84.htm were each taken from about 2 feet away. It is possible that the moray will see its own reflection in your lens port, and it may react aggressively toward the "intruder". If you see the eel coming out of its hole aggressively, simply back off and tilt the camera so that the eel can't see its own reflection anymore. You'll also see sharks in the Bahamas. Have fun. -Clay

I hate to recommend you put yourself in danger BUT I've been within mere inches to Green Morays lots of times. This photo was taken of me taking the Green Moray photo I posted recently. They are very mild mannered, despite their toothy appearance.

Spotted Morays, like the one I posted today, have a bit more of an attitude and deserve some distance. But I have been known to push the limits but I've also spent alot of time studying their behavior and body language. This photo was cropped just a bit, I was only within about 3 ft. of it.

Only you can decide where your comfort level is regarding creature interaction. Eels, and other creatures, at popular dive sites are more conditioned to divers and their approaches.

I try to use the zoom as little as possible. Yes, it makes things look larger/closer but in reality you still have the same amount of water and whatever particle are in the water between you and the subject. Your focus will suffer, too.

This is the first and only Moray I've seen to date.

normal_santarosa_003.JPG

When I saw him I got very excited so I swam right up to him. He didn't seem to mind me being there at all.

I rushed to take a picture of him, but then after I took it, I realized he would just sit there and let me take as many as I wanted. After about the fourth, he started falling my hand as I moved my strobe around, so I decided it was time to leave.

It's not often that you get such a coorporative subject. I wish I could get fish to sit still like that.

No such thing as too close :wink:

Watch him for a little bit...start out farther away and slowly move in. I find that it is unusual for me not to be able to get closer than 3 or 4 feet - I can usually get right up to them. YMMV

This guy was only about 10ish inches from my lens. He didn't retract, he wasn't aggressive - he just hung out doing what eels do. Shame there was so much sand being kicked up (by swirling water, not divers)...

alcina:
No such thing as too close :wink:

Watch him for a little bit...start out farther away and slowly move in. I find that it is unusual for me not to be able to get closer than 3 or 4 feet - I can usually get right up to them. YMMV

This guy was only about 10ish inches from my lens. He didn't retract, he wasn't aggressive - he just hung out doing what eels do. Shame there was so much sand being kicked up (by swirling water, not divers)...

He looks aggressive as hell!!!

Kind of looks like something for a poster for a sci-fi movie.

There are a few species of morays that are aggressive, but the body language is unmistakable and you get a fair bit of warning.

But even the Spotted ones in the Atlantic, you can get up nice and close without too much trouble. The Spotted Moray is the only Caribbean species that have active aggressive attitudes. The Green's are placid (until you see them hunt - they are truly impressive and extremely brutal hunters). Same with the golds and purple mouths.

22003_0126_163531aa_2_1.jpg

This one can't have been more than 4-5 inches away from the front of the dome. I am a little more comfortable getting close as I have a larger housing for my Fuji S2.

Remember the open mouth if for respiration and is not an aggressive posture unless the moray is directly moving towards you.

Enjoy,
M

Cool, that's what I was thinking, along the lines of the spotted being more aggressive than others. Is that true even for the black and white spotted ones in the Caribbean?

For perspective, these are the two kinds I saw the most last year on Blackbeard's...

spottedmoray.jpg

spottedeel2.jpg

The second was a white mouth (?) moray I believe.

Is that black and white one I posted considered aggressive? I think I saw one at least every other dive last year.

Thanks for the insight guys :)

This little 'fella is pretty mean... bite your finger on a whim. 'Course he's used to being tong-fed on Mondays and Fridays. Come on over to my lab Scott and we'll test how close you can get!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom