Getting Close to your Subject

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of the above plus, work out how your digital camera responds to zooming whilst in macro mode. You can get the same sized image further away from the subject. Besides staying in your subject's comfort zone, this lets you get more even lighting and less distortion.

The downside is that your lens aperture is reduced. That's why you see something like an F2.8 for wide angle and an f4.5 for the zoomed telephoto setting. But you're using a strobe anyway and you can check your shot with a digital camera.

Jamdiver:
It's important to note though that those guys are using macro lens for their macro shots...60mm whatever, and that gives them a greater working distance to get a really nice macro shot with the subject filling the frame.

For me to replicate that short of shot would require me to be centimetres away from the subject..

Actually that isn't true at all. With the 60mm lens I am often mere cms away from my subject - I've been known to virtually touch the port to things. It can make lighting a bit of a bear and it forces you to approach your subject very patiently.

The 100/105 backs you up and allows more working distance and is better for skittish creatures and "easier" to light because you are rarely blocking your own strobe!

I know I'm not Mike or Dennis, but hopefully there's something useful in my posts :)

alcina:
Actually that isn't true at all. With the 60mm lens I am often mere cms away from my subject - I've been known to virtually touch the port to things. It can make lighting a bit of a bear and it forces you to approach your subject very patiently.

The 100/105 backs you up and allows more working distance and is better for skittish creatures and "easier" to light because you are rarely blocking your own strobe!

I know I'm not Mike or Dennis, but hopefully there's something useful in my posts :)
Ahh, I stand corrected.
Thanks for that Alcina :).

EDIT - What kind of magnification do you get with a 60 or 100mm lens as compared to a typical compact cameras lens Alcina??
I often see figures like 1:1 magnification??
Need to do some research and figure out what all this means..

Thanks for your advice, everybody. I hope to put some of my newfound knowledge to work, next month, in Sea of Cortez.

Alcina, I am very happy that you posted, here, thanks! I'm a big fan of your photography work and have found your posts to be most knowledgable.

Back
Top Bottom