Getting certified-Ascent Incident on 1st Ocean Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarissaI

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am brand new to diving. I went through the Naui course training, completed my test, dove in a pool about 4 times, a quarry 2 times, and then it was time for my ocean dive. At the bottom (at about 20ft) I was in the middle of blasting my regulator when my mouth flooded with water. I swallowed water, panicked and surfaced. My instructor was holding me down so I didn't surface as fast.. all the while I was swallowing water. I dont know extactly how fast i got to the surface from 20 feet.. prob less than a min. :((so embarrassing) when i got to the surface I had a headache. The past 4 days I have had a lingering headache at my temples.. my left one to be exact. The morning it is always at its worst. I go this weekend to redo the dive again.. I am just worried about my head. Why I am feeling the lingering headache? My symptoms don't exactly correlate with sicknesses i have read in my text book. Please share your thoughts. Thank you. -M

Iam not a DR but the first thing I would do is check your dive computer profile if you have a computer. If you do not have a computer ask your instructor to look at his. A normal ascent from 20 feet would be faster then a minute. So using that in deciding if you surfaced to fast may be inaccurate assumption. Your instructor holding on to you was in response to slow you down and to try to correct the issue before surfacing. In all theory you should be weary of him not being in arms length to correct the issue on the bottom before you took to the surface, and making this thread a reality.

Once you can see how fast you were going to the surface you will have a better idea of what the issue can be. Reading DAN's articles of causes of headaches in divers in that area it could be something very simple such as biting too hard on the mouth piece to something else. I would suggest calling DAN and seeing what they say. Iam leading toward sinus issues as I have had that pain in the past.

I would certainly not dive before the cause for the headace was known and disposed of. See your doctor!
Maybe it is "only" a case of sinusitis, but you should not dive with blocked sinuses.

First of all, it is not possible for anyone to give a diagnosis or even an assumption of what causes your headache. We can only fantasise about it. There is not enough info. As said above, talk to your instructor and if necessary see a dr.

Yes it was def much less than a min, I guess to me it felt longer. He tried to correct issue by putting Octo in my mouth but I swatted it out and fled. He thinks maybe I have air in my sinuses. Or it could be a mental thing as I endured alot of stress from the situation.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 10:31 AM ----------

Thank you. I will seek doctor's advice. I am leaning towards it being a previous sinus issue that was worsened by the dive and fast ascent.

....when i got to the surface I had a headache. The past 4 days I have had a lingering headache at my temples.. my left one to be exact. The morning it is always at its worst. I go this weekend to redo the dive again.. I am just worried about my head.

No fun, MarissaI.

For openers, do you have any other complaints that may be consistent with DCS such as joint pain, itching, skin mottling, muscle weakness, unusual fatigue, numbness or tingling, dizziness, confusion or visual disturbances? Have you had a cold or similar malady recently? Do you have any prior history of headache issues?

The signs & symptoms of DCS typically do not vary across the day, e.g., they are not worse in the AM, although DCS-related headache may be aggravated by exertion, movement, straining, coughing or bending. These headaches tend to present with a dull or pressing quality of mild to moderate intensity.

Headache such as you complain of may also be the result of barotraumatic sinus injury, sinusitis, or other causes.

We can discuss this further after you have answered the questions.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I have no prior headache issues. I suffer mildly from sinus infections here and there, nothing that causes nose bleeds or serious side effects. The day of my dive i was well. No conjestion, no headache. My joints are fine. No itching. No dizziness. No confusion or visual problems. no muscle fatique. no other symptons.. just a temple head ache. That is relieved by medicine when I take it. But comes back and lingers all day long since my incident. My headache now is a dull pain. ONLY in my left temple. As any headache when i move or exert myself it gets worse.. laying down all night i think makes it worse as well.. which makes me believe there is pressure present.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 11:03 AM ----------

I was thinking maybe i should relieve the pressure in my sinuses. Maybe take an over the counter sinus spray? Antinflamitory (IBuprofen, which helps for a period of time), or a decongestant? But I do not feel congested.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 11:05 AM ----------

If i suffered a barotraumatic sinus injury, or sinus block, what can i do? I have been drinking TONS of water. Not drinking alcohol. Doing nothing to aggravate my sinuses.

I do not see any likely issue with DCS. At a max depth of 20'. You just would not pick up enough oxygen load under the length of time a dive would last.

Issues with rising too fast can cause lung injury from over expansion. I don't know if you can get sinus injury from over expansion..

Headaches can be caused by stress, worry and mental trauma. I think you check all those boxes.

However, long distance diagnosis is a chancy thing. Going to a physician with some knowledge of dive issues would not hurt. If you are a DAN member, give them a call.

Even if everything checks out, it would seem prudent to wait for the headache to go away.

Ditto Agility above. A four-day headache after a rapid ascent from a dive is worth being investigated by a medical professional. Typically sinus barotrauma pain localizes to the specific sinus that's injured so pain in the left temple would be an unusual presentation, though pain behind the left eye would not. If you PM me your location I can let you know where the closest diving medical practitioner is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom