Getting back into a Zodiac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luft

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of a Zodiac for diving, the Navy Seal type. I can see how easy it is to get into the water but how difficult is it to get back into the Zodiac with tanks, etc...?

luft:
I am thinking of a Zodiac for diving, the Navy Seal type. I can see how easy it is to get into the water but how difficult is it to get back into the Zodiac with tanks, etc...?

Take your gear off in the water. Clip it off to a line. We usually leave a short line with a couplel clips trailing the boat. Take your weight belt off and pass it over the pontoon. Keep your fins on. Duck under the water and kick up hard, as you reach up and grab the pontoon, wiggle into boat.

Nice thing about inflatables is that they are much more stable than a small skiff. Trying the same thing in a small skiff can easily swamp the side your trying to climb up, not so with an inflatable.

Just pull your rig up after you are in the boat.

Tobin

That's easy. Have a 6 ft clipped line for each diver attached to the rope rail on the boat. First take off your weight belt and throw it in the boat (only if not weight integrated, otherwise keep the weights in your bc), then clip your bc to your clipped line. Then, with your fins still on, kick up into the boat. You should be able to clear the tube with your upper body. If you forgot to inflate your bc a little, the clip line will keep your kit from heading off to parts unknown. The hardest part of the whole exercise is luggin the bc/tank back into the boat.

I used to dive a fair bit off a Zodiac in the Sea of Cortez. We created a wooden ladder with a curved top that fit right over the pontoon and tied down to the deck. Made it very easy.

One day while I was diving solo, the tender in the Zodiac (who is supposed to stay with me while I'm down) was called back to the mother ship. When I surfaced, thee was no one there to help. Because I was carrying a video camera in a housing, I didn't have both arms free and didn't want to just drop the housing (mine) over the edge of the pontoon and hope it would land on something soft. When I attempted to climb up the ladder with all my gear on, the ropes broke and I was in a bind!

It took 30 minutes for me to finally make my way into the Zodiac and take it back to the cruise ship. Of course if you are not carrying a camera, this is much easier.

West Marine....and other marine supply super stores carry a rope style ladder that attaches to the pontoon and the hangs in the water. Works like a charm if you are not in the mood to flop in to the boat like a seal.

I remove my gear after clipping it off to a down line tether. Toss several tethers over the side for gear and lights and scooters etc. Getting back in is super easy, grab hold of the pontoon handles, my boat has several, and dip down and with a powerful kick pulling up with your arms and you will find your tummy draped over the tube, give a wiggle and another kick and your back on board. Piece of cake, ladders and all that are not needed on a smaller inflatible, just take up room and get in the way.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
N

Easiest way to get back into a Zodiac is to be frightened. I watched a scared diver launch himself into a boat with full gear on. He hardly touched the sides of the boat. Really amused the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom