GET YOUR DM AND/OR IDC FOR FREE in exchange for work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tough crowd this morning. There are people occasionally posting and looking for this very thing. I'm sure Dressel will have no trouble finding people to sign up.

I have seen some terrible internship offers. This seems like one of the better ones. It appears to be for a fixed term so you know what to expect from a time commitment and they provide food and lodging.
I'm sure you will work long hard hours but that is part of the value of the program. Could you work a minimum wage job for a year, pay for your own training and come out ahead financially? Maybe, but I would bet you'll be a better instructor after the internship. There was a time in my life when I could have done this and probably should have. I can't do it now. It may not be right for you but it could be perfect for someone else.

I personally dont think this is a bad deal at all to be fair. 1 year of no rent, no real living costs, FOoD mmmm. and all the experience you would gain working in this environment i think would benefit a lot of people?...

The kids I talked to doing this over the summer seemed to really enjoy it. Dressel did a good job of not over working them. Nothing even close to "slave labor". They tended to rotate thru the day spending some time in the shop, pool and on the boats. Yes, at 48 its probably not a good choice for me, but at 19 and taking a year to "find" myself...I can see the appeal.

It also sound like a decent deal for someone older like me. I plan on taking early retirement and spending winters somewhere warm. The initial plan was for my wife and I to try half a dozen locations for 6 months each to find one we would like to make our permanent winter home. I was also looking at getting my DM and Instructors just before or during our first trip. I could probably talk my wife into getting her DM as well.

Fo rthe record, DM and OWSi including PADI fees and all the little bits and pieces you find you need/want is nearer $6k. Th ats a heck of a chunck of change for a twenty something to fork out ( unless bank of mum and dad is paying)

While the courses are good, there is nothing like experience to consolidate the knowlege and these long term placements get you pleantly of expereince with lost of assisting in the pool, and lots of dives as a guide/DM where you';ll get exposure to all manner of customers.

I chose to do my DM and OWSI in later life and while I didn't take a long term internship I did ensure I was able to "work" full time at my chosen centre to gain more experience with pool work and the diving public as a whole - who can range form great and enjoyable, to real PITA people whose self belief is very distant from their actual knowlege and ability.

My stepsons are just learnign to dive, and I will ensure that they have the skills, training and knowlege so that if they want a gap year to go be a DM, or OWSI then they can - but I'm not funding the course :wink:

Because I'm able, I'm looking at an instructor Intern somewhere. So I can get more certs of course, get some more specialialities but gain more experience that can only be go by working close to full time rather than the occasional training every month.

But every one is different and has different goals and desires

Would they take an experienced old fart that wants to live the dream and take a year out? In my head I’m still twenty with a six-pack, bloody comedy mirrors say different, or is it the eyes…. Am certain that it’ll be just like the Inbetweeners documentary movie.

It is an "internship". It's been a very long time since I did something like that and mine was a paid internship. But a lot of them are unpaid and all you get is experience. So it doesn't sound like a bad deal. Not something I could manage these days (maybe at retirement), but if you are young and looking to get your DM - why not do it while "living the dream".

It is an "internship". It's been a very long time since I did something like that and mine was a paid internship. But a lot of them are unpaid and all you get is experience. So it doesn't sound like a bad deal. Not something I could manage these days (maybe at retirement), but if you are young and looking to get your DM - why not do it while "living the dream".
I wish I could have done something like this when I was young and had no commitments. I have one son that is a certified diver, but has his life planned (somewhat - Junior at University for computer science and engineering), and another that has no idea what to do, but is not a diver. This sounds like a great way to see some of the world and get some experience for a gap (or finding yourself) year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom