Get out your crayons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been playing with this RAW pic in PS7 and I'd really like to see what experts can do with their software.

The first picture is the RAW pic converted into PS7.

The second pic is that same file after picking white and black.

The third pic is my best attempt after looking at that anchor for about 2 hours.

I know that this is over the web and JPEG, but just want to see what I can grow into one day.

justleesa:
Pic #1, that's the way it comes out in RAW?

That's how that shot looked in RAW...most come out (OK, should!) just like what you are used to. But it's a great illustration of how powerful RAW is...

SeaYoda:
I have been playing with this RAW pic in PS7 and I'd really like to see what experts can do with their software.

As this file is now a JPEG ppl will only be able to work on it as such and not show the changes available if it were a RAW file to begin with...is this what you mean, though?

1st is monochrome version, this is what I like to do with shots like this, that have only a single color to them (green or blue).
converted to grey-scale using channel mixer in photoshop, then a slight grain added using noise filter (monochrome, gausian, about 2-3%)

2nd is same as above, but then add a saturation layer, and adjust the hue to the color of duo-tone you'd like (cyan in this case).

Art

justleesa:
Pic #1, that's the way it comes out in RAW?
That is what came out using the converter on RGB setting(it does not do a white balance or try to auto adjust the picture) (it was a 16 bit TIFF file). I used that picture to create the end result. A lot of the versatility of the tools in PS7 is not available for 16 bit pics. I would imagine that PSCS lets you do more and in RAW directly (Alcina can probably help us there).

Alcina,
I just wanted to see what others could do with the limited web size file - the RAW or TIFF was too big to thumbnail. If there is a way to get you the RAW let me know. I'd love to see what could be done with that. This is a rather bland picture which would show me the potential of other's talents and software - good to learn from.

azcaddman:
1st is monochrome version, this is what I like to do with shots like this, that have only a single color to them (green or blue).
converted to grey-scale using channel mixer in photoshop, then a slight grain added using noise filter (monochrome, gausian, about 2-3%)

2nd is same as above, but then add a saturation layer, and adjust the hue to the color of duo-tone you'd like (cyan in this case).

Art
This picture has some color but mostly white due to the sand here. There is a red/orange fishing bead to the right of the anchor so you can see that if there was anything of color that it would have picked it up - I took it out of the final picture because I thought it did not fit.

The green pic is similar to what I get from my other RAW converter when it is allowed to give me optimal results for PS7. The creator of that program warns about how dark the pic will seem but that it is the best form for PS. I guess there are shades that programs can see that we don't. The converters can be set to bring out the colors for you, I just wanted to start from scratch with a tough pic and see where it could go.

I like your cyan version the best.

Here is how my stand alone RAW converter saw the same image as the green pic from the Olypus plug-in for PS7. Quite a difference!

Yes there is a picture there, not just a black rectangle :D .

Thought some of you might enjoy this little product called Digital Velvia. The guy has packaged a series of Photoshop actions that let you adjust color saturation wall maintaining color accuracy.

You can accomplish the same thing by adjusting curves, levels and saturation yourself but for 15. this is a convenient tool.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/DV/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom