George Mason University Program and SCUBA club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

While I have a career already I have given serious thought to going back to school to get educated in a new field. The idea is to maybe move to that new field in 4-5 years time. I already have a B.S. in IT but was looking into doing a Biology degree. Now after reading another thread in this forum I realize that MB/BO seems to be very competitive. Add in the fact that none of the schools people were listing are by me and I have another disadvantage.

When I looked around to some of the schools that were local to me I found George Mason University. They do not have a Marine program at all but they do have a MS/PhD program called Environmental Science and Policy. I know it is not MB/BO but I figure if the program is good I can learn a lot and look at moving by one of the better rated schools for MB/BO with better knowledge than I currently have. The reason this school got my attention was that they do classes on Coral Reef Ecology and Underwater Ecological Research Techniques in the Bahamas each summer. Add in the fact GMU is getting their SCUBA club started off again and it seems inviting.

I am just curious if anyone on this board has heard good or bad things about this program. Before I spend a lot of time, effort, and money I would like to know whether it is a waste and I should just do a Biology degree for the time being. Thanks.

Hello everyone,

While I have a career already I have given serious thought to going back to school to get educated in a new field. The idea is to maybe move to that new field in 4-5 years time. I already have a B.S. in IT but was looking into doing a Biology degree. Now after reading another thread in this forum I realize that MB/BO seems to be very competitive. Add in the fact that none of the schools people were listing are by me and I have another disadvantage.

When I looked around to some of the schools that were local to me I found George Mason University. They do not have a Marine program at all but they do have a MS/PhD program called Environmental Science and Policy. I know it is not MB/BO but I figure if the program is good I can learn a lot and look at moving by one of the better rated schools for MB/BO with better knowledge than I currently have. The reason this school got my attention was that they do classes on Coral Reef Ecology and Underwater Ecological Research Techniques in the Bahamas each summer. Add in the fact GMU is getting their SCUBA club started off again and it seems inviting.

I am just curious if anyone on this board has heard good or bad things about this program. Before I spend a lot of time, effort, and money I would like to know whether it is a waste and I should just do a Biology degree for the time being. Thanks.

If you're still around, I got a flier for a scuba club forming today.
PM if you want the organizer's adress.

Hi Super Noob 1258,

Casarez' post is dated April 19, 2008. He last logged onto the board on August 18, 2013.

As such, you may wish to email or PM him.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom