George Horn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I learned that George R. Horn, owner of Scuba Devine, in Brooklyn, NY had passed away at 8 PM yesterday after battling with cancer and heart issues. I first met George online. The Internet forums were something new and rec.scuba paved the way for social media sites like SB. Faceless people sharing their passion for diving and connecting over the miles. George was most famous for leading a seahorse dive in New York City. Yes! There are an abundance of seahorses in New York. I first learned about the lined seahorses found around NYC harbor and the Hudson River from George. George and I later served on the board of directors of Hydronautics - Diving for Science & Adventure, Inc. H-DSA introduced me to GUE and DIR diving and changed my life. George, a giant of a man with a heart 10 times bigger than he was, helped keep me sane during our time at H-DSA. George served our country in the US Army in Vietnam and was a true friend to many and one of the best ambassadors for the sport of scuba diving. He was the quintessential New Yorker. Tough guy exterior, Brooklyn accent, kind, generous, and always smiling. There is a hell of a diver in heaven. George's passing will leave a hole in the lives of those who knew him.

Rec.scuba gang had at least one organized trip with George. I didn't make it.

Never met George but I knew him from rec.scuba and I well remember the kerfuffle over the rumoured seahorses in NYC and the resulting seahorse dive that he put together. Sad to hear he is gone.

Sad. That was my best friend's birthday.

I'm still having trouble absorbing it.

I'm still having trouble absorbing it.
The backplate I've been using almost exclusively since around 2000 is a Koplin. It's on my rebreather now.

I mostly miss rec.scuba and the gang of idiots we had there. My god, that was fun.

It certainly had its minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom