Geocaching!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle:
Okay Grier, I looked and looked all over that PT boat and couldn't find it! Where did you hide it? I ran into Gerry afterwards, and he says he thought it might be on a buoy line off of the boat. Is that correct? After I spent all that time in 50 degree water (freezing with my beanie on - what was i thinking - I needed my hood!) looking for that thing and you had it on the line? :wink: I'll be out there on the 17th diving so I'll look again. I might have to put a little surprise in there too.

P.S. Grier, I want to go out to Lake Norman dive shop soon to sign up for entrance into the private quarries. Is that the best place to sign up for membership and get a key?

Hi Mel,

Sorry for giving inaccurate info. My cache is still being reviewed by www.geocaching.com. I've attached the basic info that I uploaded to Geocaching.com. (The cache is tied to the big searchlight on the road. You can't miss it! I'll place one on the PT boat later if I get permission to put them in Bluestone. There's a little question about it being a commerical facility.)

To get a quarry key, you need to contact one of the local clubs at http://www.ncpdra.org. I use Lake Norman Divers. It costs ~$50 and the turnaround time is roughly 2 weeks.

If you want to dive in Lake Norman Quarry before then, just PM me. I usually go with the group from Lake Norman Scuba on Thursday evenings (we meet at 6 pm), but I've got a key and release forms, so we can dive there any time.

Welcome to Charlotte! Hope to dive with you soon,
Grier

Keep us updated on the cache and when you get to put it in Bluestone. Hopefully I'll be out there in the next couple weeks for some dives. I'm not working the entire month of August so maybe I could squeeze in a dive at Bluestone, as well as diving with your Thursday night group one time. :D

I think the geocache is a great idea for the new OW students, it definitely makes you work on navigation. Some of us in the NC group suck so bad on compass work that Jason is planning a u/w poker run for us, with a prize hopefully :lilbunny: . I'm not that bad on navigating :D but could definitely use some work. You've got to join us on this one because it will be a bunch of laughs I'm sure.

Mel

GrierHPharmD:
Hi Mel,

Sorry for giving inaccurate info. My cache is still being reviewed by www.geocaching.com. I've attached the basic info that I uploaded to Geocaching.com. (The cache is tied to the big searchlight on the road. You can't miss it! I'll place one on the PT boat later if I get permission to put them in Bluestone. There's a little question about it being a commerical facility.)

To get a quarry key, you need to contact one of the local clubs at http://www.ncpdra.org. I use Lake Norman Divers. It costs ~$50 and the turnaround time is roughly 2 weeks.

If you want to dive in Lake Norman Quarry before then, just PM me. I usually go with the group from Lake Norman Scuba on Thursday evenings (we meet at 6 pm), but I've got a key and release forms, so we can dive there any time.

Welcome to Charlotte! Hope to dive with you soon,
Grier

I know this thread is a few months old....but....If any of you guys / gals are around the Dallas, Tx area, you can check out a TerraCache that I placed the other day. It is a nice multi-stage in about 31 ft of water. The name is: Counterfeit Cash Cache 1: The mission begins. I have the same username on Terracaching.com and Geocaching.com.

I wish there were more of these types of caches out there. Maybe I will have to place some more. :wink: :D

Kenny

As I'm on the left coast, I have not been able to look for any of the caches listed here, but I am putting a few together for so-cal cacher/divers. Will let everyone know when they are up!

(I'm diveshark on geocaching.com)

Back
Top Bottom