Genius and icon transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nigel Bryant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi.

Does anyone know if the transmitter supplied with the icon also works with the genius. I fancy upgrading but don’t really want to buy a new transmitter as well as a new computer.

According to Mares they are interchangable. Also, the Icon and Quad are interchangable as well, though the Quad is a serious display downgrade IMO.

After reading the PR blurb, I don't see what improvement the Genious has over the Icon.

After reading the PR blurb, I don't see what improvement the Genious has over the Icon.

It runs Bulhman 16 rather than RGBM and supports mixed gas. That is the improvement, but too late for me. I sold my Icon before the Genius came out and bought the Teric. In hind sight, I made the right decision. Nothing against the Genius, but they said for years they would upgrade the firmware for the Icon and instead just discontinued it. I don't think Shearwater has ever just stopped support on their computers. Also, those Mares computers are too big, IMO.

40 hours of diving battery life is a big improvement on the ridiculous battery life on the icon.

Instead of posting separately, thought I'd ask here. Can I upload my dives on a MacBook computer? I'm interested in buying the Genius for the display and other features.

According to Mares they are interchangable. Also, the Icon and Quad are interchangable as well, though the Quad is a serious display downgrade IMO.

We've been having issues with our Icon HD where the pressure signal from the tank module/transmitter will stop during the dive. The battery level is good, and replacing the battery doesn't entirely resolve the issue. It will work for a few dives, and then reverts back to losing the pressure signal. I'm trying to see about getting the firmware for the tank modules updated if they contain down rev'd versions. If I'm not able to get the firmware of the tank modules updated, I'd be willing to try the 'Quad Air LED Tank Module'. The Icon HD dive computers have version 4.2 firmware.

Has anyone actually paired an Icon HD with the newer LED Tank Module?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom