Generic wide angle diffusers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I've got a couple of the big rechargeable lights from Princeton Tec and they put out a pretty darned decent light. I'm wondering if there is a source for diffusers I can put over the front wich will spread and soften the beam a bit so I can use them for a light for my camera/video at night 'til I can afford to set up the lights I eventually want to get.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Steve

There's two things you can do yourself.

1. Cut 1 or even 2 circles of plastic from a milk carton or coffee can lid to fit inside behind the glass of your flashlight. This is virtually the same as the plastic diffusers that come with strobes, just on the inside.

2. Take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and scrunch it up. Spread it back out but leave some of the wrinkles...the more wrickles, the more diffusion. Use this foil to line the reflector shield behind the bulb. This softens the light, getting rid of the hot spot.

Neither costs more than pennies so try them both!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom