Generic suitcase or Divebag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the opinions. I am using a mesh bag for the boat btw.
I think I'll stick to my regular suitcase, but I'll get a larger backback as carry on (for my backplate, regs, computer etc..)

We have a large ish rolling duffle that came from MEC.. the only comments weve had about it on boats have been positive (where can I get one kind of things). It holds two complete sets of gear, and looks a bit imposing but my wife and I are pretty good about getting gear on in a way that doesn't mess anyone else up.. and I don't ask anyone else to hump it into or out of the boat.

I also ask the Op if it is OK and am prepaired to swap to two mesh bags if asked..

I love my MEC roller duffle..

I have a mesh bag that all my gear fits into for the boat. But to travel, I used my lightweight samsonite that I bought at an outlet. Its on castors so it is the easiest luggage I ever used. After diving recently in the Bahamas, it was more compact and was much less cumbersome than the dive luggage the rest of my group was using. Plus after seeing how much those dive travel bags were...my samsonite is better quality for at least $100 less. It held everything including 2 sets of fins. Oh the weight was a total of 47lbs!

HAPPY DIVING!
Carolyn:D
ps. always carry your regs, computer, and divelog with you on the plane! :wink:

plot:
As for locks on luggage and the security thing, you can have them, but they have to be those special airport security approved luggage locks (you can find them at walmart, master lock has a line of them)... the airport people have a special tool that opens them up without damaging them.

Tie-wraps work very well for this purpose. You just insert the tie-wrap into the two zipper pulls. Snip them off when you get to your destination. Carry spares with you at the airport in case anybody wants to see the contents before they send it off to be loaded on the plane (never happened to us yet).

I am paranoid about having any dive logos on the gear bags that get checked. I am so afraid they will "grow legs" somewhere between point A and point B.

I use an ice hockey gear bag, and husband uses an old suitcase, and we put locks on them.

I figure if we are going somewhere tropical to dive, nobody would want ice hockey gear. LOL.

ETA: We use mesh back packs on boats when we get to the destination. I also have a large dry bag I bring onto the boats so things like cell phones and dry clothes will stay dry.

I think I see a pretty solid concensus developing here. I also use plain ole economy (aka cheap) softsided luggage with wheels and also bring along a mesh Stahlsac bag and a dry bag for bring my gear on the boat. I carry on my regulator bag (includes my regs, computer and backup bottom timer) and my drysuit bag.

scratchmyback:
Tie-wraps work very well for this purpose. You just insert the tie-wrap into the two zipper pulls. Snip them off when you get to your destination. Carry spares with you at the airport in case anybody wants to see the contents before they send it off to be loaded on the plane (never happened to us yet).

you would think tie wrap would work, but on my last trip I used tie wrap to secure the zipper but the TSA cut the zipper dongle and not the tie wrap. I just do not understand why. The metal dongle is thicker and harder to cut, so the TSA agent cut the zipper just to break the bag and piss me off.

ScubaMarc:
you would think tie wrap would work, but on my last trip I used tie wrap to secure the zipper but the TSA cut the zipper dongle and not the tie wrap. I just do not understand why. The metal dongle is thicker and harder to cut, so the TSA agent cut the zipper just to break the bag and piss me off.

Ha ha, too funny (sorry.) I've had the TSA locks cut off before. Grrrr. Now I just use tie wraps. Maybe it is a good idea based on your experience to hook the zipper with a couple of them like a chain, so they are easier to cut. (eye roll).

Oh, and back on topic, people are mixing advice for dayboat type boats, liveaboards, and land resorts. For travel to other countries, I always use large eagle creek duffels. They're light and tuff and look like they might contain dirty trekking gear. I like them for liveaboards because they collapse well after you get the stuff out, as some liveaboards don't have much storage space.

That reminds me of somebody who once said he saved up some REALLY smelly dirty clothes and tossed them into the top of his bags . . . to deter the TSA guys from checking everything too thoroughly! :rofl3: That's not really relevant, but I just remembered it and it made me laugh.

I bought into the "diving" way of thinking and purchased a large "dive" bag that rolls for $200.00. Once I got it home, it finally dawned on me, I have an ordinary run of the mill rolling bag.... with a dive logo on it!!! Felt like a moron.

Last time i went through a US airport (miami) they cut off my tie wrap, left a note inside the case saying it'd been inspected but they never resealed the case. It was unlocked after that and through the connections until i got home.

Back
Top Bottom